National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) takes place across the country every October. The celebratory month provides inclusive organizations an opportunity to celebrate individuals and veterans with disabilities in the workforce.
Getting Hired had almost 30 inclusive employers involved in promoting NDEAM on social media and the enthusiasm and commitment this year was great to see!
Top organizations who celebrated NDEAM 2018
When it comes to supporting NDEAM, we believe the more the merrier, which is why we want to highlight some of the top organizations that promoted disability inclusion in October:
- Microsoft – Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft, was featured in a video series promoting how accessibility is a top priority for their product development efforts. The first video of the series showcased how easy it is to use AI-infused features in PowerPoint to build more inclusive presentations.
- IBM – IBM reflected on their 100+ years of practicing disability inclusion by sharing an article on the ethics of artificial intelligence and how it’s impacting individuals with disabilities.
- TD Bank – TD Bank has been sharing great employee testimonials and promoted Carol Elloian’s Diverse Abilities story to kick of NDEAM.
- Phillips 66 – Phillips 66 partnered with Getting Hired to create a social media campaign promoting their commitment to hiring qualified individuals with disabilities.
- Google – Google believes that accessibility is everyone’s responsibility and to highlight NDEAM, they shared different ways their Central Accessibility Team has helped to make products work for everyone!
- DuPont – DuPont featured four employee perspectives during their global celebration of NDEAM and commitment to diversity and inclusion at their organization.
- Wells Fargo – On October 3rd, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) welcomed some of the Wells Fargo team to ring The Closing Bell in celebration of NDEAM.
- Dell – Dell promoted their commitment to diversity hiring by sharing a video about their True Ability Employee Resource Group that celebrates and supports their team members with disabilities.
- CVS Health – CVS unveiled their newest mock pharmacy store in Baltimore, MD in partnership with Baltimore City Community College and Goodwill Industries. CVS mock stores help individuals with disabilities gain hands-on training as pharmacy technicians and retail sales associates.
- The Coca-Cola Company – In support of NDEAM, Coca-Cola had a Super Hero photo booth and encouraged their associates to write down what their super ability was and post their pictures with #cokethisability. What a great way for their team to show off the abilities they're proud of most!
- Voya Financial (Voya) – On October 9th, the National Down Syndrome Society and Voya, hosted a unique dining experience to advocate for individuals with Down syndrome. Follow #VoyaCares on Twitter to learn about all the inclusive efforts Voya has done throughout October.
- Walmart – Walmart partnered with the Special Olympics in a question and answer session where they talked about their role of including individuals with intellectual disabilities in their workforce.
What can you do to celebrate NDEAM?
At Getting Hired we celebrate NDEAM all year long as our passion and mission is to help our employer partners build inclusive workforces that include individuals with disabilities. Here are some tips to celebrate NDEAM:
- Learn the top social media tips to attract and engage individuals with disabilities and share this with your Marketing teams to help your organization gain credibility with job seekers with disabilities.
- Watch our webinar with HirePotential to learn more about how to recruit students with disabilities and share this with your campus recruiters.
- Join our webinar on November 15th with the Epilepsy Foundation to learn accommodation tips to support job seekers with epilepsy, their caregivers and spouses in the workforce.
- Tag @gettinghired in your inclusive Twitter posts for a chance to be retweeted and featured on our Twitter handle. Don’t forget to include #NDEAM & #NDEAM18 in your Twitter posts!
- Partner with your Marketing team to create a plan to celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities on December 3rd, 2018. The annual event was proclaimed by the United Nations in 1992 and has been celebrated around the world ever since.
- Supporting NDEAM can be as easy as sharing NDEAM content from the community. As an example, promote Disability:IN’s landing page of resources or The Campaign for Disability Employments “I Can” video!
Interested in learning more about NDEAM or have questions about the above tips? Contact us for additional support and details.