Vice President, Operations--Water/Wastewater Utility
- Are you ready to bethe nextleaderwith New YorkAmerican Water?
- Do you driveresultsandchange?
- Do you foster aninclusive and diversework environment?
New York American Water serves more than 350,000 peopleand hasmore than 130 employees. We are committed to safety, reliability, exceptional water quality, and providing the best service within our communities.
We are looking for someone who inspires our workforce, works across all levels of the organization, can make high-level decisions, and create a robust strategy for our business. American Water leadership strives to provide critical and excellent service to our communities and pursue opportunities to expand our footprint.
This position reports directly to the President of New YorkAmerican Water and will be responsible for overseeing Operations, Water Quality, and Safety forthe state.
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S.publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.comand follow American Water on Twitter, Facebookand LinkedIn.
To lead the operations functional areas (water quality, field operations, production and maintenance) within the state (designated as a Large2 state), and direct cost effective, high quality customer service and operational integrity.
- Develop operations strategies and direct and manage the water quality, field operations, production and maintenance for water and wastewater operations within the state. Implement best operating practices to promote continuous improvement, innovation and excellent customer service. Ensure that operational integrity is maintained, including regulatory compliance in all facilities. Provide strategic and operational input to annual business plans, control budgets for responsible areas, and ensure that operational and financial targets are met or exceeded.
- Lead, motivate and develop staff in assigned operations areas. Build shared commitment to improving business performance, and develop both individual and team capabilities. Drive performance by linking business units' objectives to company goals and values. Communicate a shared vision, energize and empower staff, and champion diversity.
- Work with the state president and engineering staff to develop the strategy and priorities for capital investment programs, and drive the effective implementation of such programs.
- Support the business development function within the state. Assist in due diligence and operational analysis, and ensure effective integration and performance of acquisitions and contract operations.
- Establish relationships with and serve as operational contact for political and civic leaders and other key external stakeholders. Support and assist the state president in maintaining and enhancing such relationships state-wide.
- Extensive knowledge of the regulated water and wastewater utility business and its operations. Knowledge of the applicable regulations, requirements and trends impacting the water and wastewater business, both regulated and nonregulated, as it exists throughout American Water locations and areas of new business opportunities.
- Knowledge of the assessment of operating practices and the establishment of best practices.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, motivating and empowering employees to effect positive change and improve business performance.
- At least ten years' experience successfully managing operational areas in multiple locations with represented employees.
- Experience in establishing, meeting or exceeding organizational performance targets.
- Bachelor's degree in operational discipline, management or related discipline. Master's degree preferred.
- Up to 50% travel throughout the state.
Drives Safety Culture
Drives Vision & Purpose
Strategic & Learning Agility
Political & Organizational Savvy
Builds Effective Teams & Network
Join American Water... We Keep Life Flowing ™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.