Director, Employee Development
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Oversees HR strategies by establishing department accountabilities, including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, training and development, records management, succession planning, employee relations and retention, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) compliance and labor relations.
- Provides AE executive management guidance, recommendations and decisions on complex HR departmental issues.
- Oversees and ensures AE’s compliance with MCS rules governing municipal civil service employees.
- Analyzes organizational and Corporate Improvement Services business needs and develops short and long range strategies, goals and action plans.
- Creates and implements workforce development, human capital management standards, initiatives, policies and procedures.
- Oversees process improvement and communicates direction and information to staff and executive management.
- Oversees HR, OD, and Corporate Quality services operating procedures.
- Communicates business strategies and organizational information to employees, executives and city officials.
- Acts as a liaison between Austin Energy and other city departments and city officials to provide solutions to complex problems and resolve difficult issues between involved parties.
- Develops and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of workforce development and business service projects, programs and plans.
- Oversees investigations and ensures appropriate responds to complaints from citizens, management and staff.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state and local laws, and city ordinances and policies.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of businesses planning methodologies.
- Knowledge of budgeting methods and systems.
- Knowledge of process improvement methodologies.
- Skill in using effective written and verbal communication to convey information in a clear and concise manner.
- Skill in planning, organizing and prioritizing multiple assignments with conflicting deadlines in a demanding environment.
- Skill in analyzing and resolving complex issues in a timely manner.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations in a calm and professional demeanor.
- Skill in operating a personal computer using multiple software applications to perform complex data analysis and solve problems.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to manage and lead multiple business units.
- Ability to supervise and train others.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships with executives, employees and the general public.
- Ability to provide effective leadership throughout the department.
- Experience working with employment-related laws and regulations.
- Management experience in a civil service or municipal environment.
- Experience in utilities, manufacturing or an industry dealing with a skilled-craft workforce.
- Experience in implementation and oversight of human capital management platforms.
- Certification in human resources or organizational development from the Society for Human Resources Management or other national organization.