Senior Controls Engineer- Steer by Wire (2023)
The Nexteer Automotive Steer-by-Wire engineering team continues to grow and evolve as we are working with multiple customers in support of their development of design requirements. At the same time the team is developing and refining our own production-intent designs and performance. Steer-by-wire technology is an exciting development in the automotive industry, gathering considerable interest from many areas. It provides significant benefits for both traditional and autonomously-driven vehicles, being a key enabler for the Nexteer Quiet Wheel technology and seamless transitions between autonomous and human drivers.
The Controls Engineer Team is responsible for development for the Steer-By-Wire system using physics, control principle and algorithms which includes design, implementation, and verification. We are looking for a technically skilled and controls focused individual who is well versed in mechatronic modeling and controls to lead the Control Engineering Team. The successful candidate will have experience with Matlab, Simulink, embedded systems, embedded controls, passion of controls and its impact to steering feel and have the patience to teach. In this position, the candidate will develop team members technically. The candidate will develop with the controls team to generate dynamic system models of electric power steering systems, calibrate performance of existing functions, and generate and troubleshoot the system to enhance performance. This position interacts with both internal and external customers to ensure deadlines and desired characteristics are met.
- Responsible for the design, analysis and verification of the controls of electronic power steering systems using dynamic system modeling and simulation and team leadership
- Provides technical leadership for projects incorporating complex electromechanical (“Mechatronic”) systems
- Design multiple sub-system performance goals through full system modeling and allocates those goals to various team members
- Effectively integrates all aspects of system design using multi-disciplinary engineering
- Tunes vehicle steering characteristics, diagnoses and corrects deficiencies in designs and prototypes and develop calibrations methods
- Demonstrates rapid prototyping tools for system development
- Stays abreast of new technology
- Strong programming and simulation skills (with Matlab/Simulink) and experience performing engineering calculations is required
- General competency and experience in vehicle dynamics, mechanical systems, electronic systems, or software
- Experience with automatic embedded code generation tools such as the Mathworks toolsets (Real Time Workshop, Autocode Generation, Embedded Coder)
- Background in automotive engineering or chassis systems (steering, braking, suspension) is desirable
- Software programming experience using C, C#, and Visual Basic is desirable
- Excellent problem-solving techniques, organization and documentation abilities
- Knowledge of system synthesis, analysis and verification techniques
- Strong dynamics base controls modelling approach
- Valid Driver’s License
Required Experience: Master’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in controls and 6+ Years of Experience
Equal Opportunity Employer Disabled/Minorities/Veterans/Women
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Nexteer is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is an internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employees to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees in the United States.
Accessibility for Applicants with Disabilities: If you need a reasonable accommodation for the online application process due to a disability please call [Register to View] . Please provide your contact information and details about the posted position of interest. Only inquiries regarding assistance for those who need an accommodation with the online application process due to a disability will be returned.
Employment agencies are an important component of our talent acquisition strategy, and we value the partnerships we have built with our preferred vendors. We will not accept unsolicited resumes from employment agencies for any employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Nexteer Automotive or directly to hiring managers in any form without a signed Nexteer Automotive Agency Agreement on file, and search engagement for that position, will be deemed unsolicited in nature, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired as a result of the referral or through other means. Additionally, any resume submitted without a contract in place will be considered Nexteer Automotive property and no fees will be paid to the agency if the candidate is hired.
Please note, agency agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by a member of Nexteer’s Human Resources team. No other Nexteer employee is authorized to bind Nexteer to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by an agency.