Systems Engineer - System Design (2023)
The System Design team innovates, leads, and optimizes Electric Power Steering and Steer by Wire system architectures through analysis, design, interface analysis & arbitration, and optimization techniques. This position is responsible for innovative leadership through strategy development for system architecture & optimization and support of system component architecture teams (Mechanical, Powerpack, Electrical and Software). The ideal candidate will have experience leading projects related to system or component architecture, design concept development & selection, DFSS and other design optimization methodologies, and systems engineering.
- Lead technical projects incorporating complex electromechanical (“Mechatronic”) systems.
- Develop systems from concept through core design.
- Create and optimize system level designs and negotiate component interfaces using systems engineering and analysis tools to support EPS and SbW Systems and Architecture teams.
- Design and optimize simultaneous system performance goals through clear understanding of requirements and constraints, including flow down from the vehicle level through the steering system and its components.
- Effectively integrate all aspects of a design using multi-disciplinary engineering.
- Drive consistency in strategy through Development of System Design Tool & Analysis Methods.
- Envision systems level thinking throughout Nexteer by coaching and mentoring.
- Encourage effective cross functional negotiation by quantifying benefits and issues of a particular design choice.
- Develop Design competency in Architecture and Core Engineering staffs (DFSS, Axiomatic Design, Concept Selection, Cost Modeling & Optimization)
- Use cutting-edge tools to show and improve requirements traceability, architecture designs, and relationships between subsystems.
- Support technology development, innovation, efficiency, and process improvement activities.
- 4 Years of experience in system architecture and design, component architecture and design, control systems, embedded systems, vehicle dynamics or systems engineering.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, specifically Excel), and knowledge of simulation tools (MATLAB/Simulink) and system engineering tools (IBM DOORS, Rhapsody, RTC, etc.).
- General competency in all core fields (systems engineering, electronics, electromagnetics, computer hardware and software).
- Experience in automotive systems engineering and standards (ISO 26262, ASPICE, and/or KGAS, etc.).
- Demonstrated structured problem-solving techniques.
- Knowledge of system synthesis, analysis, and verification techniques (Pugh, QFD, N-squared, Pairwise Comparison, V-model).
- Good organization and documentation abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others.
- Must be able to view a computer screen or monitor for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Experience with automotive steering and understanding of automotive steering system performance metrics and evaluation methods.
- Knowledge of electric machine types commonly used in electric power steering such as brushless PMSM and DC brush.
- Experience with design and analysis of control systems, motor control systems, sensing subsystems, and/or power electronics.
- Experience with System Requirements Development and System Architecture Development.
- Experience in DFSS, Axiomatic Design, Concept development & selection, Cost Modeling, and System Optimization.
- Completion of Systems Engineering courses through recognized Systems Engineering organizations or universities including but not limited to INCOSE (International Council on Systems Engineering), MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), PPI (Project Performance International)
- Background in automotive engineering and chassis systems (steering, braking, suspension).
- Background in Signals and Systems
- Experience in managing large, complex projects.
- Experience with system modeling tools (AMESIM)
BS in Systems Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Software/Computer Engineering with emphasis on electromagnetics, electric machines, sensing systems, embedded systems, automotive systems, vehicle dynamics or control systems.
MS in Systems Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering with emphasis in control systems, systems engineering, or vehicle dynamics including architecture and design.
Equal Opportunity Employer Disabled/Minorities/Veterans/Women
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Nexteer is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is an internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employees to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees in the United States.
Accessibility for Applicants with Disabilities: If you need a reasonable accommodation for the online application process due to a disability please call [Register to View] . Please provide your contact information and details about the posted position of interest. Only inquiries regarding assistance for those who need an accommodation with the online application process due to a disability will be returned.
Employment agencies are an important component of our talent acquisition strategy, and we value the partnerships we have built with our preferred vendors. We will not accept unsolicited resumes from employment agencies for any employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Nexteer Automotive or directly to hiring managers in any form without a signed Nexteer Automotive Agency Agreement on file, and search engagement for that position, will be deemed unsolicited in nature, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired as a result of the referral or through other means. Additionally, any resume submitted without a contract in place will be considered Nexteer Automotive property and no fees will be paid to the agency if the candidate is hired.
Please note, agency agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by a member of Nexteer’s Human Resources team. No other Nexteer employee is authorized to bind Nexteer to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by an agency.