Network Solutions Architect
Motorola Solutions is there for our customers when everything is on the line. In extreme moments — when a hurricane lands or when a fire breaks out. And in everyday moments — when a package arrives just in time for the holiday or when a child doesn’t miss the school bus home.
We unify voice, data, video and analytics in one integrated ecosystem to enable individuals, businesses and communities to work together in more powerful ways. To help people make better decisions, act confidently and be their best in the moments that matter. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions and connect with a career that matters.
Motorola Solutions is a world leader in the field of professional mobile communications systems with an impressive heritage of technological innovations and a global base of installed systems. The group's main business is the implementation of mission critical digital mobile communication systems for Government & Public Safety Communications customers.
Convergence of LMR and broadband networks, new requirements such as live mobile video transmission, software solutions providing real time intelligence, and Next Generation 911 are transforming public safety communications systems. Our systems engineering teams design and integrate these wireless networks and command centers enabling voice and end to end IP based data solutions.
The Network Solutions Architect (NSA) acts as an internal consultant and subject matter expert for the Western US regional post sale and pre-sale engineering teams. The NSA collaborates on design standards and best practices, working closely with other regional NSAs, the Engineering Center of Excellence IP Network Practice Office and other IP Network Subject Matter Experts from North America. The NSA must be self motivated, possess the ability to work autonomously, and continuously update their skill set as changes in technology and standards require. The NSA will:
- Design ASTRO P25 LMR networks and integration with customer enterprise applications.
- Solve complex customer and internal problems with unique LAN/WAN designs using MSI and third party vendor equipment. Assist post sale engineering teams with troubleshooting network and mobile backhaul issues.
- Provide local team with design guidance on customers’ transport network solutions to aggregate services for P25-LMR, LTE, Smart Public Safety, and enterprise applications.
- Provide supporting design specifications for required layer-1 and layer-2 transport media such as fiber and microwave terminals.
- Prepare and present technically compelling presentation material on system designs for customers, pre and post sale engineering teams.
- Collaborate and assist with bid strategy and deployment of projects.
- Develop and work with software tools for automating network design and implementation tasks.
- Develop both high-level and detailed network diagrams and documentation as reference designs.
- Work with test equipment such as LAN/WAN network analyzers and protocol analyzers. Provide guidance on testing best practices to ensure mobile backhaul networks meet standards for mission critical Public Safety systems.
- Perform network infrastructure security audits.
- Identify a training regimen for territory level engineers to acquire higher level skills in network design, mobile backhaul and security.
- Participation with other SMEs to evaluate third party vendor equipment and make recommendations on mobile backhaul technology for the future.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Expert skills at installing, configuring, and troubleshooting routers, switches, firewalls, load balances, and virtualized servers
- Minimum preferred certifications: Juniper Network Certified Internet Associate (JNCIA), Nokia Routing Specialist I (NRS I) or equivalent
- Experience with routing protocols: BGP, OSPF, ISIS and others as needed
- Experience with MPLS design and deployments
- Experience with LAN switching protocols: G8032 ring protection
- Experience with Juniper, Nokia, HP, Fortinet networking equipment
- Knowledge of different media types: Metro Ethernet, Frame-Relay, Ethernet, SONET
- Knowledge of physical layer such as: fiber, copper, microwave
- Experience in scripting/programming preferred
- Experience with Motorola ASTRO 25 architecture
- Experience with Microsoft Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google applications required
- Experience with use of command line and/or GUI interfaces to provision equipment
- Experience with Network Management Applications a plus: Solarwinds, JUNO-Space, Nokia SAM, Provision
- Self motivated, excellent written and oral communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills
- Works collaboratively and builds relationships with other colleagues, customers, and third party service professionals.
Travel is required in support of customer and project needs; ability to travel within the US and Canada, as needed, with limited notice.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, IT, or similar degree field and 4+ years of experience, Or MS in Engineering, IT, or similar field and 2+ years of experience
- OR 6+ years of experience in networking
Motorola Solutions has implemented a voluntary COVID-19 vaccination policy. We strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated. Any employee who is not vaccinated must wear a mask at all times when at a Motorola Solutions site or otherwise meeting with other Motorola Solutions employees or customers. Employees who have submitted proof of vaccination must follow site-specific or local mask requirements. Additionally, certain local governments or Motorola Solutions' customers may have vaccine requirements that apply to some of our employees.
Referral Payment Plan
Our U.S. Benefits include:
- Incentive Bonus Plans
- Medical, Dental, Vision benefits effective Day 1
- 401K with Company Match and Day 1 vesting
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off Packages
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Parental & Family Leave
- and more!
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.