Facilities Mechanical Engineer
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world’s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping about 100,000 customers transform the future, today. We’re committed to building a better future – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities and developing great minds. Put your talent to work with us – change the world, love your job!
About the Job
Texas Instruments (TI) is looking for an experienced Facilities Mechanical Engineer to join our World-Wide Facilities (WWF) Team. This engineer will be directly responsible for sustaining, design, installation, and project management for mechanical systems to support a semiconductor wafer fab in North Texas. TI Facilities operates a variety of process and HVAC mechanical systems. These systems are designed to run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year without interruption, creating a state-of-the-art manufacturing environment. The WWF team works closely with TI’s other facilities sustaining organizations and manufacturing teams to understand how the facilities utility systems impact the process quality, reliability, and safety as well as how to reduce consumption.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Sustaining Mechanical systems include:
- Fire Protection
- Water sprinkler and hydrant systems
- Smoke Exhaust
- HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Systems)
- Chilled and Condenser Water including chillers and cooling towers
- Hot Water including boilers and steam generators
- General Exhaust
- Make-Up Air and Air Handler Systems including FCUs
- Direct Expansion (DX) air handling systems
- Cleanroom Mechanical
- Fan Filter Units (FFUs) with ULPA filtration
- Sensible cooling
- Process Mechanical
- DI Water
- Industrial Waste Water includes suspended solids treatment
- Process Cooling Water
- Plant Vacuum
- House Vacuum
- Scrubbed and VOC Exhaust
- Systems assessment and improvement roadmap establishment and implementation; capital and expense projects execution in support of safety, reliability, quality, environmental and cost objectives.
- Engineering support of system capacity vs. demand and troubleshooting for all systems
- Motor to Fan/Pump alignment and vibration analysis
- Hydraulic system calculations and flow modeling
- Psychrometric and heat transfer calculations and modeling
- Knowledge of chemical compatibility for materials for fluids commonly used in facilities mechanical and process systems
- Provide Facilities mechanical system engineering leadership to the site organizations
- Collaborate with operations and maintenance team to develop plans for maximizing operational and maintenance efficiency
- Manage technical, administrative, financial, schedule aspects, strategic communications, and customer stakeholder relationships during the execution of various facilities projects
- Generate SOWs for system enhancement and improvements.
- Permitting and Building Code compliance related to mechanical systems and associated infrastructure
- Develop and implement programs targeted to improve quality, efficiency and effectiveness of mechanical systems.
- Plan, develop and implement projects that are required for improvement, growth or rearrangement of existing systems
- Effectively manage system deliverables including points of delivery, utility parameters, specification limits and notification methods
- Identify systems requiring operating procedures and assist operations team in SOP and training development
- Work to integrate reliability focus and risk analysis into Systems Engineering job scope, which includes FMEAs, root cause analysis, cause mapping, design, commissioning and training
- Project Management responsibilities:
- Coordinate contractors and suppliers to complete mechanical scope for major project to meet safety, cost and schedule goals.
- Co-work with other project mechanical engineers to share mechanical scope and back each other up when necessary
- Manage project finances, procurement, estimates, forecasting, and capitalization
- Provide construction administration and management within operating manufacturing facilities
- Complete projects safely and reliably with zero impact to customer operations
- Collaborate with other project engineers with responsibilities of other disciplines like controls, civil/structural/architectural and electrical to understand and ensure proper implementation, coordination and completion of project work
- Lead the verification of space management with the other project mechanical engineers and TI sustaining team to ensure design space management is strictly followed
- Direct and execute project commissioning to ensure all mechanical and process systems, equipment, components and infrastructure perform as designed
- Coordinate system handover process after commissioning to make sure remaining punch lists and TI requirements are adhered before fully turnover to TI Facilities or other business partner operations
- Strong communication and coordination skills to plan and execute projects seamlessly with customer’s buy in thru completion
- Successfully interface with customer organizations and maintain effective communications
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or equivalent experience required
- 5 years or more experience in Semiconductor Facilities and/or Construction
- Over 8 years’ experience in Facilities industry involving HVAC and/or process related systems
- Ability to manage and direct technicians and contractors as well as coordinate multiple design and contractor disciplines on a variety of projects
- Independent, self-motivated and with high standard of professional integrity
- Candidate must demonstrate strong safety leadership and stewardship as well as exhibit skills and competencies to drive success with critical facility systems
- Sense of urgency to address mechanical interruptions and to coordinate with operations to restore systems back online
- Should have excellent facilitation and communication skills necessary to interface with business partners, external suppliers, team members, technologists and peers. Must be able to build and maintain strong, positive and lasting relationships through collaboration
- Applicant should also have the following skills: leadership, effective communications, organizational, presentation and problem solving
- Proficient to Microsoft office software include Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and AutoCAD
- Able to create construction drawings, details, Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), etc.
- Fire Protection and Process system operation skill is a plus
- Familiarity with mechanical and fire codes
Texas Instruments is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, genetic information, national origin, gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you are interested in this position, please apply to this requisition.