Associate Director- Acquisitions - Commercial Real Estate
Role Value Proposition:
MetLife Investment Management (MIM) is one of the largest institutional investors and asset managers in the world, with over $651 billion in combined managed assets, and has consistently generated superior returns for both policyholders and shareholders. The enterprise has more than 900 dedicated professionals with extensive experience and expertise across public and private fixed income and private assets, including real estate. Visit us at [Register to View] style="color:blue;text-decoration:underline">www.metlife.com/investments to learn more.
Global Real Estate and Agricultural Investments maintain a portfolio invested in commercial real estate and agricultural mortgages, as well as real estate equities. Real Estate Investments sources and manages commercial real estate investments through seven regional field offices in the U.S. and International field offices in London, Tokyo, Mexico City and Santiago. This role will be responsible for support regional acquisitions for MetLife’s general account and third-party investors. This includes analyzing and evaluating acquisitions and development opportunities for the Region. The portfolio includes office, retail, industrial, multi-family and hotels and strategies range from core to value and development/opportunistic. The role requires close interaction with MetLife Real Estate Portfolio Management, asset management, leasing, operations, construction, and accounting professionals working on related direct acquisition and/or joint venture equity assets. Reporting directly to the SERO Head of Acquisitions, this person will work closely with other regional peers, regional architects, and asset class strategists. This position will represent MetLife Real Estate in the Region, which includes direct external marketing of our investment products to the industry, as well as developing and maintaining long-term relationships with borrowers, brokers, partners, and key clients. This position will recommend buy, development, and sell decisions that directly impact net investment income.
- In coordination with the Acquisitions Team Lead, this person will execute and contribute to setting strategic direction for the SERO Acquisitions team.
- Act as a key member of the acquisitions team driving establishment of MetLife’s industry leading equity real estate investment platform by establishing best in class acquisitions capabilities and effectively supporting a regional acquisitions team.
- Responsible for the underwriting, due diligence, acquiring and closing equity investments for the MetLife general account as well as third party investment accounts.
- Responsible for the preparation of transaction approval memos including market research/trends to formulate underwriting assumptions.
- Responsible for coordinating due diligence and coordination with asset managers during the closing/onboarding process including, tenant estoppel reviews, OFAC compliance, ARGUS audit, rent roll/lease verification, etc. as required in the closing process for the acquisition and development of real estate equity assets.
- Interface with all parties involved in the acquisition due diligence and closing process, including internal as well as external partners such as portfolio management, regional architects, JV partners, asset & property managers, legal counsel, brokers, third party consultants and representatives of third-party investor accounts.
- Present the transaction to investment committee.
- Work cooperatively with portfolio managers, marketing and investor relations, and research in supporting appropriate acquisitions strategies and parameters.
- Ensure acquisitions processes, including legal and due diligence, are efficient, prudent, and consistent with industry best practices.
- Actively participate in industry functions and support MetLife’s favorable position as a leader in the marketplace; seek out leadership positions and speaking opportunities
- Assist the regional platform to ensure growth of assets and sustained optimal portfolio performance and net income growth for both the MetLife General Account as well as MIM client accounts
- Oversee a consistent investment process; guide and implement investment decisions to ensure appropriate risk/return outcomes
- Deliver best-in-class standards for client service in the Region to support future AUM growth through long-term relationship-building with investors, JV partners and brokers
- Source and vet investment opportunities through Regional Investment Committee and Equity Strategy Group Investment Committees to ensure quality control of investments, deal structures, and appropriate risk/return metrics
- Support in managing equity portfolio risk to maximize income potential and minimize credit losses, operating deficits, and income variances; proactively address equity investment challenges to optimize economic outcome
- Mentor, develop and manage talent.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 5+ years of relevant experience, ideally with regional real estate investment responsibility.
- Experience in equity real estate acquisition experience with track record of value enhancement.
- Business and financial acumen.
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills.
- MBA, CFA, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Excellent market knowledge, negotiation skills and the ability to execute.
- Strong financial skill set.
- Well-organized and team-oriented with strong work ethic.
- Must be detail-oriented with strong time management/prioritization skills and ability to work independently is essential.
- BA/BS required. MBA/CFA preferred.
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine's 2021 list of the "World's Most Admired Companies."
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Requisition #: 125528