AVP, Corporate Communications
AVP, Corporate Communications
Job Location: New York, NY (Hybrid office schedule: 3-days in the office, 2-days out)
We’re one of the largest financial institutions in the world with operations in approximately 40 markets. We’re a purpose-driven company that helps our individual and institutional customers build a more confident future. We’re constantly adapting to deliver value for our stakeholders. What we need: an all-purpose communications pro with the experience and passion to tackle every challenge a global financial enterprise can face.
The Assistant Vice President of Corporate Communications is a highly skilled communicator who can cover the various aspects of enterprise communications: sustainability, MetLife Foundation, issues and crisis, financial and M&A, policy and regulatory, reputation management, diversity, equity and inclusion, and global brand sponsorship. A skilled strategist, press secretary and speechwriter, this person will report to the Head of Financial Communications and be an integral member of the team that tends to the communications needs of the “Inc.” part of MetLife.
- Partner with the Head of Financial Communications to manage all communications issues facing MetLife, Inc., both proactively and reactively.
- Bring a strategic mindset that understands how to assess risks and opportunities and formulate communications plans that serve the company’s interests.
- Collaborate with and serve as communications advisor to senior leaders in the Office of the CEO, Finance, Sustainability, Government Relations, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, MetLife Foundation, Global Brand & Marketing, and other parts of the company to effectively manage communications challenges and opportunities.
- Understand how communications creates value for the company through its ability to craft the right messages for the right audiences to achieve the right outcomes.
- Employ the full toolbox of communications skills – strategic planning, writing, media relations, crisis communications, social media – to achieve mastery over the challenges and opportunities facing us.
- Bring a strong executive presence and the confidence to counsel senior leaders.
- Have a bias for action and a desire to continually raise the bar.
- Collaborate with the team to curate the daily media intelligence report for MetLife’s senior leaders.
Experience & Competencies:
- 12+ years of experience in communications
- Experience developing and executing communications plans
- Proven track record of successful media relations
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- An analytical eye, and a keen attention to detail
- Demonstrable experience of delivering impactful results for high-profile clients and campaigns
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- A strong creative streak
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
The wage range for applicants for this position is $175,000 to $210,000. The role is eligible for incentive compensation under the sales incentive plan for your position. MetLife offers a comprehensive benefits program, including healthcare benefits, life insurance, retirement benefits, parental leave, legal plan services and paid time off. All incentives and benefits are subject to the applicable plan terms.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.