Technical Operations Process Intern
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Technical Operations (Drug Substance) is seeking a Summer Intern to join our team in Boston, MA. The Technical Operations Drug Substance group is responsible for the commercial application of chemical processes to manufacturing active pharmaceutical ingredients, their intermediates and regulatory starting materials to support our Drug Product supply chain. An intern position in our team will offer a variety of opportunities such as understanding the commercial drug substance space; improving technical skills in the lab; handling chemicals; operating laboratory instruments; generating, manipulating and interpreting data using different software; and applying chemical knowledge towards designing experiments.
The intern will support one or more experienced chemist(s)/engineer(s) in performing technical assignments, spend time learning/executing laboratory operations and have unique assignments that support continuous improvement efforts for our commercial supply chain, as well as experience the day-to-day workings of a process chemist/engineer as a part of broader drug substance manufacturing.
Vertex interns will also be given the opportunity to participate in additional activities/events which help them build a strong network within technical operations, supply chain and process chemistry and with fellow interns at Vertex in general.
- Develop project flow plan for the continuous improvement activity and execution
- Search relevant literature precedent; apply principles in the literature to the project
- Learn how to design an experiment to answer vital questions
- Learn to perform small and mid-scale process support reaction using a broad range of techniques and equipment
- Learn to perform screening type experiments in parallel
- Apply different analytical controls to support experimental results; such as HPLC, TLC, GC, NMR, etc
- Work cross-functionally with Technical Operation support teams to aid project completion
- Prepare poster/written presentations summarizing work
- Currently enrolled as a graduate student, studying a relevant degree (chemistry or chemical engineering)
- Passion for scientific knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be highly-motivated and have an excellent work ethic
- Experience working in an organic chemistry lab
- Candidate for Master’s or Ph.D. program
- HPLC instrumentation and research experience would be a bonus
This job posting is for a temporary role with a third-party agency partner that provides services to Vertex. The individual selected for this role will be offered the role as an employee of that third-party agency; compensation, medical benefits, fringe benefits and other terms and conditions of employment shall be presented by the third-party agency upon offer.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that Vertex requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees working in the U.S. as a condition of employment at Vertex, subject to medical, religious or other accommodations or exemptions required by law. We believe this requirement is vital to keeping everyone at Vertex and in our communities safe. This requirement applies to both existing and new employees who may at any time work on-site at a Vertex facility or visit another location on behalf of Vertex (e.g., conferences, customer visits, etc.), including all remote employees. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at [Register to View]