Vice President - Enterprise Financial Accounting & Reporting Audit Team Leader
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: VP Internal Audit - Global Finance
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to individual and institutional customers. We’re united by our purpose to help our customers and each other create a confident future; we’re guided by empathy; and we’re inspired by each other to make a difference in the lives of our coworkers, customers, communities, and the world at large. At MetLife, it’s #AllTogetherPossible. Join us!
The Vice President – Enterprise Financial Accounting & Reporting Audit Team Leader position reports directly to the Head of Finance Audit and will work closely with key 1st and 2nd line stakeholders and regional and cross-functional audit peers.
The position is responsible for overseeing audit coverage of corporate and enterprise financial accounting and reporting functions, including US GAAP and SEC Financial Reporting, Technical Accounting Policy development and governance, the internal controls department (including the Company’s SOX program), enterprise planning and projections, investor relations, and the corporate controller functions. This includes managing client relationships, establishing the audit plan, and accountability for audit execution in these areas to ensure that all key risks are assessed, monitored, and covered as appropriate to add value to MetLife. The role holder will also partner closely with peers covering SOX, local and regional financial accounting and reporting activities, technology, risk management, and external financial statement audits. The role holder is expected to be an accomplished communicator with deep internal audit expertise, strong critical thinking skills, and a propensity for understanding technical/complex business processes to help promote the value of Internal Audit’s work through interaction and communication with key business stakeholders and participation in other strategic projects as deemed appropriate.
MetLife is operating in a ‘Hybrid’ work style and the role holder will be offered flexible working arrangements split between in-office attendance and work from home.
Reports to: Head of Finance Audit
Reports: 4 direct
- Head of Financial Operations
- Head of Accounting, Controls, and External Reporting
- Head of Enterprise Planning and Projections
- Head of Technical Accounting Group
- Head of Internal Controls Department
- Head of U.S. GAAP and SEC Reporting
- Head of Expense Center of Excellence
How You’ll Help Us Build a Confident Future (Key Responsibilities)
- Act as a proactive thought leader by setting strategy, policy, and audit resource allocations in support of business initiatives ensuring audit activities align with enterprise strategies and create sustained shareholder value.
- Effectively manage client relationships to build rapport and understand key and emerging risks and significant initiatives impacting their areas to inform the audit plan.
- Perform risk assessments and planning for appropriate coverage of audit areas via quarterly plans and longer-term outlooks.
- Respond effectively to management requests for special audit projects and investigations.
- Work collaboratively with 1st and 2nd line stakeholders globally and be accountable to provide appropriate management levels with an objective and independent review of operations and recommendations where improvements are appropriate.
- Influence, lead, and/or support global integrated audit work which may contain regional or local components across the numerous regional and local actuarial and reinsurance operations.
- Ascertain the reliability, effectiveness, and timeliness of management data used in conducting business, and where appropriate, that such data is effectively protected.
- Review and assess compliance with established policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Drive consistency and quality in audit reporting globally within areas of responsibility.
- Proactively report top risks and management’s attention to control health and risk mitigation to
- Internal audit leadership.
- Support Audit Committee reporting as applicable.
- Provide leadership in reporting standardization, ongoing monitoring of performance metrics, and audit budget allocations.
- Act as liaison with appropriate external professional organizations and keep informed on new developments in areas of coverage and/or the field of auditing.
- Manage and coordinate the relationship with external audit teams and consultants to the extent they are performing audit activities.
- Build and maintain an effective and competent audit staff via an efficient organizational structure and provide leadership in a manner that motivates, engages, and develops individuals and teams to successfully execute plans and drive strong results.
What You Need to Succeed (Required Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or a related field is required. Advanced degree (MBA) and/or professional certification (CPA, CIA) is preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in internal/external audit within Insurance or Financial Services.
- 15+ years of experience leading and developing high performance teams.
- Excellent analytical, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively both within and across departments to achieve business objectives.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven work environment.
- Ability to influence others, solve problems, and overcome challenges.
- Strategic mindset with the ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Strong understanding of business and related concepts
- Experience in creating budgets and analyzing budget vs. actual results.
- Knowledge of Open Pages is a plus.
The wage range for applicants for this position is $220,000 to $290,000. This role is also eligible for annual short-term incentive compensation and stock-based long-term incentives. All incentives and benefits are subject to the applicable plan terms
Benefits We Offer
Our U.S. benefit programs are geared toward health and wellness, financial protection, and retirement savings. In addition to comprehensive health coverage including medical/prescription drug, dental, vision, and no-cost short- and long-term disability benefits also include:
- Retirement plan (cash balance pension) with a minimum monthly contribution regardless of an employee’s pay and 401(k) with employer matching
- Company-paid life insurance and legal services, and discounts on voluntary insurance products including auto and home, pet, critical illness, hospital indemnity, and accident insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and digital mental health programs
- Expert support for medical second opinions, cancer care navigation, diabetes and hypertension, weight loss/fitness, joint and spine health, caregiving, and more
- Generous paid time off, including a floating cultural heritage day
- Paid volunteer time off and charitable contribution match
- Tuition assistance
- Family benefits including paid parental leave, adoption and surrogacy assistance, child and eldercare support, college advising program
Equal Employment Opportunity/Disability/Veterans
If you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at [Register to View] This information will be held in confidence and used only to determine an appropriate accommodation for the application process.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.