Staff Accountant, E Commerce
- Job Title: Staff Accountant, E-Commerce
- Department: E-Commerce Accounting
- Reports to: Assistant Controller, E-Commerce
- Location: Alexandria, VA
- Grade: 17
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Statement of Purpose
Responsible for vendor payments, and accounting activity relating to the general ledger and financial statements. Assist in the analysis of EDI exceptions and in the preparation of G/L reconciliations. Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance, problem solving, and results.
- Employees in Other Division As Needed
- Banking Institutions As Needed
- Supervisory Personnel/Management Occasionally
- NIB Associated Agency & NYSPSP Frequently
- Vendors Frequently
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related discipline from a regionally accredited university or college preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be acceptable.
Training and Specialized Knowledge
Comprehensive knowledge of standard month-end and year-end close processes and typical general ledger account reconciliation processes. Proficiency with MS Excel and MS Word; familiarity with Oracle; excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Communication Skills
- Ethics / Integrity
- Customer Care
- Job Knowledge/ Technical Skills
- Process Improvement
- Three to five years in an accounting environment
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
- Excellent analytical and reconciliation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare schedules and general ledger reconciliations as a part of the month end close process.
- Prepare and reconcile AbilityOne and NYSPSP Bank reconciliations as well as other Oracle pass through accounts.
- Create new suppliers in Oracle and retrieve completed W-9 form.
- Responsible backup person for both accounts payable and accounts receivable duties
- Respond to Vendor and internal inquiries by phone or email; research invoices and payments in Oracle.
- Reconcile AP Vendor Statements as needed.
- Record Chargebacks and disputes with the Credit Card bank as needed.
- Complete monthly AP/PO reconciliation, which includes working with E-Commerce operations, IT, and customer care staff to resolve issues.
- Collect and monitor data for AP holds and exceptions on a regular basis. Provide summary of AP hold and exception status by vendor and type to management and IT.
- Assist in monitoring and clearing Oracle Interface Tables, update status of incoming invoices and ASN’s to inform IT/Accounting if all automatic processes are occurring.
- Assist in monitoring impact of EDI-based issues contributing to E-Commerce Accounting delays or interruptions. Research EDI or vendor-based factors contributing to such delays, such as incomplete invoices, Direct EDI errors, and incomplete or missing shipping notices.
- Participate in annual financial and program audit activities and inquiries
- File monthly, quarterly, and annual sales tax as needed.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The incumbent in this position will perform such other tasks as may be required for the effective operation of the Division/Department upon the request by his/her supervisor.