Research Scientist Intern, On-device ML Accelerator Compiler (PhD)
Meta AR/VR focuses on delivering Meta’s vision through Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). Enabling compelling user experiences on Virtual and Augmented Reality devices requires innovation and co-design across all layers of stack from novel algorithms to custom silicon. Meta’s AR/VR team is driving the state of the art forward with breakthrough work in computer vision, speech, virtual assistant, machine learning, mixed reality, graphics, displays, sensors, and new ways to map the human body among many others.
We are seeking exceptional interns with a background in developing compilers and/or programming languages. Our compiler targets on-device ML accelerators for mobile AR/VR applications, including VR headsets and AR glasses.
You would join a team developing tooling for automatic PyTorch program capture and compilation for one of Meta’s machine learning accelerators. You will collaborate with teams working on the development stack from model development to compilation, via Torch FX transformations.
Research Scientist Intern, On-device ML Accelerator Compiler (PhD) Responsibilities:
- Design and implement extensions to existing PyTorch model capture tooling inside the framework of an existing on-device ML accelerator compiler pipeline
- Collaborate with other research scientists and software engineers to propose changes to both models and tooling in a co-design effort
- Capture, create and execute test cases to show the increased scope of program capture
- Communicate design ideas and results clearly, both within the group as well as to the cross-functional groups
- Note: no prior experience or knowledge of Torch FX is expected. You will be inducted on Torch FX as part of the internship.
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
- 2+ years experience in developing compilers or programming language design
- 2+ years programming experience
- Working knowledge of the Python programming language
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Experience with the PyTorch deep learning framework
- Experience in program static analysis or program capture
- Basic knowledge of machine learning models
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Publication track record in machine learning conferences and/or journals