Software Engineer Intern, Systems & Infrastructure (PhD)
We build systems that allow more than a billion people all over the world to connect and communicate using whatever devices they have available. Our systems need to be scalable, fast, reliable, and efficient in order to provide a great user experience. As we design and build these systems, Facebook engineers encounter grand challenges across all levels of systems—including data center, hardware, storage, mobile, distributed systems, and more. Moreover, fast evolving social apps and highly dynamic social workloads present us with many unique research opportunities. The entire Facebook platform is our lab for research, development, and innovation. As a PhD intern at Facebook, you will help build the systems behind Facebook's products, create web applications that reach millions of people, build high volume servers and be a part of a team that’s working to help connect people around the globe. The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in relevant engineering fields, such as (but not limited to) machine learning and artificial intelligence infrastructure, distributed software systems, storage systems, data warehousing and analytics, database systems, operating systems, networking systems, programming languages, compilers & runtime systems, security & privacy and mobile systems. As part of our hiring process, PhD interns are pre-assigned to a relevant team based on their expertise and interests. This internship has a minimum twelve (12) week duration with Winter, Summer, and Fall start dates in 2023 only.
Software Engineer Intern, Systems & Infrastructure (PhD) Responsibilities:
- Build highly-scalable software systems using primarily C++ and Java.
- Design flexible APIs for Facebook product teams developing applications for web and mobile.
- Build detailed monitoring to track the health of these systems and quickly triage issues.
- Analyze the shortcomings of existing systems.
- Design and build next generation systems to constantly be at the cutting edge.
- Currently is in the process of obtaining PhD in Computer Science, related STEM or quantitative field, or relevant experience
- Research and/or work experience in Algorithms, Architecture, Programming Languages, Compilers, Database, Data Mining, Distributed Systems, Security, Cryptography, Networking, and/or Systems
- Experience in systems software or algorithms
- Expertise in C++, Java, Perl, PHP or Python
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or PhD papers
- Demonstrated creativity and quick problem solving capabilities
- Proven track record of achieving significant results