Technical Sourcing Manager, Storage HDD
The Storage Sourcing Team moves fast and leverages key partnerships to drive technical innovation, high quality standards and cost-savings via a customized supply chain. The Technical Sourcing Manager is the primary technical contact for supplier engagement and management with the HDD suppliers and in conjunction with the Commercial Sourcing Manager, will drive the strategic sourcing decisions on a global basis. Working closely with the Hardware Engineering team, the Technical Sourcing Manager will help develop, communicate and implement sourcing strategies, and drive supplier engagements with an overall focus of influencing technology roadmaps, maintaining long term supplier relationships, and managing to the lowest total cost of ownership.
Technical Sourcing Manager, Storage HDD Responsibilities:
- Maintain current knowledge of the technology and industry trends for the assigned commodities and perform competitive analysis on relevant products.
- Develop, manage and refresh individual and customized technology and commodity sourcing strategies and roadmaps for each actively managed technology.
- Develop and maintain deep technical relationships with executive management at core storage suppliers.
- Influence supplier technology roadmaps to ensure Facebook’s system architecture and technical requirements are met.
- In conjunction with Hardware Engineering and Technical Program Management, lead the creation and definition of future technology directions in the assigned commodity.
- Provide technical commodity and supplier expertise and consulting to design engineering for technology migration and lower TCO.
- Provide technical review and analysis for and responses to supplier proposals and RFQs.
- Resolve all technical queries arising from the quote process.
- Drive pre-hack evaluation of key technologies usability/suitability within the Facebook infrastructure.
- Work with key internal partners on software and tools that enable a timely evaluation.
- Own technical expertise in supplier negotiations and provide review and input for product development and master supply agreements.
- Work closely with hardware engineers to develop and execute part qualification and acceptance plans for new or alternative sourced parts.
- Work with hardware engineers to ensure part specifications and requirements are within broad commodity and supplier capabilities avoiding special or unique SKUs.
- Develop supplier technical process improvement plans to drive positive gain cost, quality, reduced qualification and time to deployment.
- Support product transfer from NPI to mass-production.
- BSEE or degree in a related technical field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 7+ years of technical experience in the storage technology space with some level of supply chain/operations engagement with the technology drivers and suppliers in the industry, including experience developing and managing overall supplier performance.
- Knowledge of supplier technology roadmaps and a proven pragmatic approach to influencing supplier product roadmaps.
- Experience moving from strategy to execution and delivering tangible results.
- Interpersonal and communication experience, with experience influencing, negotiating, building consensus and making key strategic decisions.
- Experience interfacing with and establishing technical relationships with senior management at suppliers.
- Experience interfacing with internal and external partners in an entrepreneurial and cross-functional environment, requiring independent judgment while coordinating people and technical resources.