Software Engineer - Capture System and Avatar Generation
Meta Reality Labs Research is dedicated to the research and development required to bring virtual and augmented reality to billions of people around the world. At RLR, we aspire to a vision of social VR and AR, where people are able to interact with each other across distances in a way that is indistinguishable from in-person interactions.The successful candidate will have experience bridging the gap between hardware and software. You have a deep understanding of computing at multiple levels of abstraction, from theory, to hardware interfaces, to operating systems, to user facing application and large-scale distributed systems. You understand contemporary software design and engineering practices. You thrive in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment.At Meta Reality Labs Research, you will join a world-class team exploring optics, haptics, tracking, displays, computer vision, user experience, audio, and perceptual psychology. Every day, you will work alongside expert Research Scientists, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers and Software Engineers to create the technology that will make VR and AR pervasive and universal.Come join us to invent the future!
Software Engineer - Capture System and Avatar Generation Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership to a team of software engineers to mature and scale our capture systems.
- Work cross functionally with research, systems engineering, operations, and other teams to ensure system stability and integration of new research technologies
- Develop high-performance software to collect data from sensors in our capture system.
- Develop methods to verify sensors are behaving properly and returning high quality data.
- Support and evaluate device hardware, software, and firmware updates.
- Develop robust processes for testing capture system changes prior to pushing to live servers.
- Collaborate with vendors to troubleshoot hardware issues.
- Collaborate with our user studies team to understand common failure cases, ascertain root causes, and improve the data capture experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, relevant technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 6+ years of Python and C++ experience, including Modern C++ features and techniques
- Experience with software development practices such as source control, code reviews, unit testing, debugging and profiling
- Experience with Linux and command line utilities
- Experience developing GUI applications
- Proven collaborator with effective communication skills across teams of varying knowledge of components
- Proven track record of shipping software
- Experience with Qt library
- Experience with Networking
- Experience developing and managing large scale-distributed systems
- Experience with cameras and optical systems, lighting systems, and audio systems