Accountant - Operational Finance (Des Moines)
you picture yourself doing great things that make a difference in the lives of
others, Turner is the place to be. Turner Construction is an
industry leading commercial construction general contractor with a 120-year
history spanning iconic projects around the globe, including 10 of the world's
100 tallest buildings.
Turner’s rich Iowa history began with the construction of the iconic Hazen Water Tower in 1930 located at 48th and Hickman in Des Moines and continues today as Iowa’s leading General Contractor. Turner’s Des Moines office portfolio includes everything from healthcare, higher education, aviation, municipalities, commercial, sports, critical facilities, office building, and renovations.
Turner is committed to sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where everyone feels connected, sees themselves represented at all levels of the company, and feels supported to reach their ultimate potential. Turner builds some of the most ambitious projects in the world. The technical expertise of our people makes us a recognized leader in many markets. Our projects are well known. Our people set us apart. We inspire greatness. Can you picture yourself at Turner? If so, apply and let’s do great things together!
Position Description: Lead all fiscal management and financial administration aspects of project. Ensure all team members, including project manager, superintendent, and engineer are following Turner financial policy and procedures, and communicate any potential profitability or risk to management.
Reports to: Senior Accountant, Operational Finance or Accounting Manager, Operational Finance
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set up, lead, oversee and implement procedures to insure client contractual requirements are met in regard to billing and accounts receivable. Perform client contract analysis to determine the billing deadlines, payments terms, billable and non-reimbursable expenses, agreements for insurance and fee billings along with approved billing rates for staff and/or trade labor.
- Regularly audit client billing and project ledger, ensure both are meeting with contract requirements, GAAP and company policy.
- Manage accounts payable for vendor invoice processing, ensure proper sales and use tax are accounted for and responsible for keeping accounts up to date for assigned projects.
- Manage accounts payable for subcontractor invoice processing, ensure all applicable lien waivers are submitted and contracts and insurance requirements are in place prior to scheduling payments. Report to project team any subcontractor payment issues.
- Manage month close process ensuring all client bills and project costs are posted or accrued if work is in place and of material value.
- Update monthly projects assets and rentals for insurance documentation with project team.
- Manage project financial closeout along with project team. Ensure final contract amount and closeout documentation requirements have been met and agreed to by subcontractors prior to issuing final payments.
- Responsible for cash position reporting with respect to net assets, liabilities, and unfunded work in place, communicate any potential risks or profitability to project team.
- Assist with all internal and external audit requests.
- Other activities, duties, and responsibilities as assigned.
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities/ sexual orientation / gender identity. VEVRAA Federal Contractor
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required, with 3 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience
- Excellent knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP) to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Understand accounting implications of various contract terms related to profitability and risk management
- Able to perform cost anaylsis procedures
- High degree of organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Must have strong proficiency with financial systems applications and MS Office, specifically Excel and Word
- Must be self-starter, adaptable and flexible to operate with minimal direction and little or no supervision while working in a complex and changing environment
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion with ability to identify problems and make recommendations for resolution
- Demonstrated leadership, strong dedication to teamwork and integrity within professional environment
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy weight.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
Turner is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor