Helper - Inside Machine Shop
Job Description We currently have an excellent opportunity for an Inside Machine Shop Helper to support the inside machine shop at our Jacksonville Florida shipyard. This is a full-time position with occasional overtime as needed to better serve production demand. In this role, you will work in our shop with and for experienced inside machinists learning a skilled trade. To perform your duties you will need to operate computers and equipment, as well as read and follow blueprints and other specification sheets. Experience in reading blueprints and technical drawings is as plus but not initially required. In this skilled trade dependability and a strong work ethic is vital.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills Essential Responsibilities
- Perform disassembly and assembly of components and/or equipment.
- Perform pre and post-fabrication finishing tasks of mechanical metal parts, to include deburring and polishing, clean-up of materials, components and work areas.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work areas following prescribed safety standards.
- Maintain tool control cage and material/equipment within.
- Maintain proper documentation and required paperwork.
- Dependability and strong work ethic
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent - required
- Mechanical aptitude including use of basic hand tools
- Ability to communicate effectively, speak, read/write in English and pay attention to detail
- Ability to use, read and understand basic measuring tools such as tape measures and rulers
- Machine shop personnel must operate with care at all times. Safety is important when working with metal, glass and plastics. Some of the work involves heat-processed or lubricated items as well, and the machines and parts they use can be heavy and dangerous. The types of machines that a machinist might use include but are not limited to:
- Milling Machines
- Drill presses
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.