Job Description You don’t see it, but it’s there. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics. Our technologies can save emissions in the City of Lights, autonomously route UAVs through optimal task lists, power the Mars Rover, first in class mission management technologies, all protect the F-35 fighter jet, and keep our country and citizens safe. At Electronic Systems, you’ll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry’s most cutting edge innovative algorithmic problems. At BAE, we draw strength from our differences to innovate for the future. The FastLabs division of BAE systems focuses on the most cutting edge research programs funded by science and technology R&D organizations. On this team, you’ll have the opportunity to create and develop advanced technology capabilities in the areas like advanced electronics, autonomy, cyber, electronic warfare, and sensors and processing.
If you are a technologist who loves design, write, integrate, and test cutting edge software based around challenging algorithms like the traveling salesman, this is the career opportunity for you. The FAST Labs business area is the innovative research and development engine within the Electronic Systems Sector of BAE.
As a Senior Software Engineer in the FAST Labs Software Engineering Directorate you will:
1) participate in the complete software development lifecycle including design, development, debug, test, configuration, and deployment of our complex, real-time software solutions into simulation and live flight exercises, applying state-of-the-art software development tools and techniques; and
2) grow to interact with current and potential customers to understand their requirements and guide development efforts to meet their needs under the guidance of a software lead or chief engineer.
Qualified candidates will also possess knowledge of software architectures, software algorithms, software industry best practices, and emerging software technologies.
As a member of the Software Engineering Directorate, you will have opportunities to continue developing strong and increasingly complex software skills and stay current in the software discipline. The organization focuses on career development of our software engineers and advancement of the craft of software engineering. You will be working alongside other highly motivated engineers passionate about software and protecting our military service personnel.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our missions: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®” and “We Innovate For Those Who Move The WorldTM.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
There will be times where you will be required to work onsite, for example, integration and test, and for classified activities. To allow employees to balance their work and personal lives, we offer flexible “9/80” work schedules, where employees work nine-hour days with every other Friday off within a two-week pay period.**Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship or Permanent Resident status
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Prefer skills or interest in one or more of the following:
- Bachelor's Degree in technical area (Comp. Sci., EE, Physics, Math, etc.) with 4+ years professional SW development experience, 2+ years with similar Master's degree.
- Available to work 24 or more hours per week.
- Current TOP SECRET security clearance and have current US Citizenship.
- Object-Oriented language experience (C++ or Java) in a Linux Environment
- Experience developing any of distributed Systems, multi-threaded systems, real time, low latency, DSP, or military systems
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
- Current C++ or Java software development experience on Windows.
- Proficiency with software build tools such as Jenkins, git, CMake and Ant.
- Software Architecture experience.
- Digital Signal Processing Experience.
- General Purpose Graphical Processing Unit (GPU) development.
- Cloud Native Technologies experience (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Harbor, Helm, etc.)
- RF Electronic Warfare or Software Defined Radio experience.
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.