Job Description Serve as a senior team member to provide management with consistent, detailed and formalized man-hour cost estimates for proposed ship repair and conversion projects. Review customer specifications and develop man-hour estimates, by work item and/or work package, for the repair, renewal or modification of structural outfit, piping, machinery, electrical or preservation system components for military and commercial ships in accordance with customer requirements. Formulate and submit requests for clarifications/corrections of work specifications as needed. Receive and incorporate craft man-hour reviews and complete onboard inspections as required. Work with other departments to identify Subcontracting and Material requirements needed to prepare a complete work estimate. Meet and communicate with Operations and Planning Department representatives as necessary during the estimating process and as required during the contract period for the exchange of ideas, perceptions and lessons learned. Lead meetings needed to complete Make/Buy decisions and incorporate selected subcontractor quotes into the estimate. Review subcontractor quotations to determine that all work required of the subcontractor is understood and included in their pricing and that they can accomplish the required work within the established milestones. Prepare the final estimate and BET information in a timely manner for Management review. After Management review, prepare the final bid for submittal to the customer.
Once awarded, prepare for and chair Turnover Conference. Review, incorporate changes and submit final specifications to Operations for distribution. Prepare and submit final budget to Planning. When requested, provide technical assistance to other estimators in order to share experience and knowledge. Prepare any pre-award information required and submit additional information as requested by the customer.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Typically an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree and 6 years equivalent experience or a high school diploma and graduation from Trade/Apprentice programs with related experience preferred.
- Ability to read and comprehend Navy 4-E specifications, as well as, corresponding references, drawings, blue prints and technical manuals.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience with and in Maritime vessels, preferably Naval vessels.
- Estimating, planning, and/or Work Item Specification development experience.
- Intermediate level skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe.
- Experience with Naval Standard Item requirements.
- Detailed and deadline oriented team player who can work independently or as part of a team to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Effective communication skills to work with affiliated departments and upper management in preparation and presentation of proposals.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
- Ability to read and interpret requirements contained in references and technical drawings.
- Basic understanding and experience with various shipboard systems.
- Basic understanding of solicitations and associated bid requirements.
- Basic understanding of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and Department of Defense FAR Supplement (DFARs).
- Experience with pricing, rates application, for Labor, Subcontractors, and Material.
- Ability to run, read, and interpret cost history reports.
- Ability to run, read, and interpret budgets and modification reports.
- Negotiating experience with new or existing customer.
- Effective time management and communication skills to ensure complete, accurate bids spanning work effort across multiple departments and stakeholders.
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.