Under the supervision of the Environmental Manager, the Environmental Technician implements the environmental program, which is based upon a standardized Environmental Management System (EMS). Must be able to perform risk analysis, develop programs that exceed basic regulatory compliance, identify needed resources (such as personal protective equipment) and budget for resources, identify required training for employees in various operations, perform and document training, document and submit monthly performance metrics, perform environmental inspections and audits. Must be able to read and understand regulatory compliance documents and be able to submit any documentation required to operate under permits (such as air, hazardous materials, hazardous waste, asbestos, and water). Familiarity with Environmental Regulatory Agencies including the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is preferred. Previous environmental experience including hazardous waste manifesting, storm water regulations, air emission sources, asbestos abatement, and waste identification is preferred. Must be able to communicate (manage from the floor type) with senior management, area supervisors and regulators to help implement a complete Environmental Program. Applicant must have a strong ability to work independently and as a member of a robust team.
- Implements a standardized environmental program, which is Management System based.
- Performs risk analysis, develops programs that exceed basic regulatory compliance, identifies needed resources (such as personal protective equipment) and budget for resources, identifies required training for employees in various operations, performs and documents training,
- Documents and submits monthly performance metrics, performs environmental inspections and audits.
- Reads and understands regulatory compliance documents and submits any documentation required to operate under permits (such as air, hazardous waste, and water).
- Communicates (manage-from-the-floor type) with senior management, area supervisors, and regulators to help implement a complete environmental program.
- Implements hazardous material and hazardous waste programs in industrial areas.
- Perform Environmental audits and inspections with minimum supervision (60%)
- Accurately author and coordinate the development of environmental reports and inspections (20%)
- Perform risk assessments, and coordinates personnel training (5%)
- Communicate Environmental methods and procedures with senior management (5%)
- Performs other duties and assignments as required.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education/Certifications: One year related experience may be substituted for one year of education, if degree is required.
- Associates degree in Environmental Science, Chemistry, Engineering, Biology, Physical Science or a Technical Certification in Environmental Science/Management with related work experience.
- · OSHA 40-Hour HAZWOPER Certification
- · Minimum of three (3) years of experience in environmental compliance, OSHA compliance, ISO experience, or hazardous waste management and pollution prevention.
- · Knowledge of Department of Defense (DoD) environmental regulations, US Air Force environmental regulations, State of Mississippi environmental regulations, as well as Federal OSHA and EPA regulations.
- · Military background and training preferred.
- · Hazardous waste handling and waste disposal experience preferred.
- · Must be able to read/write and speak English.
- Competent in computer operations to include Microsoft Office; Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must have a strong ability to work independently.