Lead Transmission Line Engineer
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, [Register to View]
Our [Register to View] offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Get familiar with [Register to View] , our radical program for emloyees to balance work & life.
We are seeking a Lead Transmission Line Engineer who will manage a collaborative and dynamic team working in a fast- paced environment, solving challenging problems involved with electric transmission. The successful candidate will serve as a Lead Engineer and Project Manager on electric transmission line design projects of overhead and underground systems for some of the largest utilities in the country as well as regional utilities. The candidate will apply NESC, ASCE, ACI, NEC and other applicable standards in the engineering and design of all types of capital and maintenance projects from 34.5 kV to 500 kV.
Additionally, the candidate will direct a team of engineers that regularly perform engineering analyses, PLS-CADD modeling, structure loading calculations, design structure framing and hardware assemblies, draft plans and specifications, and prepare bill of materials and procurement documents across project planning, engineering, environmental, permitting, and construction management phases.
Successful candidate can expect a fast-paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as a manager and peers who will encourage career development and growth!
This is a senior leadership role accountable to the Vice President of Transmission Engineering with primary responsibilities in client relations, staff management, proposal development, scope creation/change, project execution, and new business capture for the teams’ full book of work. This position offers the successful candidate direct report responsibilities and the opportunity to further develop an already growing engineering team. The successful candidate will be able to communicate clear expectations, goals, and vision; manage the performance of direct reports; motivate, coach and mentor skilled professionals; and appropriately delegate project work. The candidate must be capable to manage collaboration and positive team culture to achieve successful results.
- Direct multiple design teams simultaneously executing various projects and programs for multiple clients
- Develop a team of engineers by training, coaching, and nurturing Leidos’ engineering talent
- Supervise staff by approving timesheets and running the annual performance review process
- Participate proactively as a member of the leadership team of the Transmission Line Section
- Create responses to RFPs, RFIs, and RFQs from clients for new work including proposal creation and definition of scope of work
- Possess a growth mindset to foster creative problem solving for our clients’ most complex issues
- Promote continuous improvement to develop streamlined processes and tools that facilitate improvements to departmental technical resources via innovation and automation
- Delegate tasks to staff, forecast and plan their future workload, and run recruiting activities to support aggressive growth goals
- Drive the quality control process for the execution team to ensure the highest level of quality in all deliverables
- Liaise with clients to maximize affinity, facilitate business development growth, and foster long-term relationship building
- Manage the health of project portfolio by proactive project management in tracking scope, schedules, and budget with support from Leidos’ Project Management Office
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering; Civil Engineering is preferred
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems with a Bachelor’s, or 8+ years of such experience with a Master's degree
- Work effectively in team environment; can also work independently
- Track record of outstanding communication to serve as primary point of contact for existing and perspective clients
- Business acumen with a record of understanding and meeting key project performance metrics
- Working onsite in Leidos or client office is a possibility; some periodic travel may be required
- Expertise in PLS-CADD and PLS-POLE
- Ability and passion to develop staff through mentoring
- 2+ years of supervising staff
- M.S. degree in Structural Engineering
- Experience with TOWER
- EIT or PE certification
- Experience with LPILE or FAD, Mathcad, AutoCAD or MicroStation, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is a plus
Ideally, candidate would be within driving distance of Framingham, MA. As a position with supervisory responsibilities, the candidate will be expected to report in-person in a full time or hybrid schedule. However, all qualified candidates residing in the U.S. will be considered including those for work-remote only.
No two career paths will ever look the same. At [Register to View] of working for a world-class employer. [Register to View] you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Pay Range:Pay Range $84,500.00 - $130,000.00 - $175,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.