Software Engineering Manager - Program Area Leader (Hybrid)
- You are a functional manager for 2-3+ program area software engineering supervisors and 6-8 senior software engineers/leads
- You will provide guidance, support, and coaching to the program area software engineering group
- You will be a key member of the SDBC Software Engineering Director / Discipline Lead’s staff assisting in handling technical issues, implementing process changes, making personnel decisions, and determining staffing needs
- You will work to cultivate a caring culture that promotes belonging, all-around well-being, and equity on your team by leading inclusively
- You will partner with the Portfolio Engineering Lead (PEL) and other business area leaders to ensure program area cost, schedule, and performance requirements are met to meet program objectives
- You will attract, engage, and retain high potential employees to support the program area and resolve resource / staffing issues
- You will identify and develop critical skills required to meet program area business objectives
- You will contribute to the establishment of goals and standards of performance, creation of staffing plans and short and long-term strategic roadmaps/plans for the SDBC software engineering organization
- You will develop and lead related continuous improvement activities to improve the software engineering organization and the company at large and ensure adoption within the organization
- You will understand industry trends and best practices to ensure BAE Systems develops and maintains the capabilities required to provide technical discriminators
- You will ensure technical content of new business proposals are both technically and financially sound
- You will support Lifecycle Management (LCM) activities as required and support strategic technology planning / IRAD planning for the program
Salary Range: $143,000 - $243,100
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
* Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering related discipline with 12+ years of experience after the date for the completion of your Bachelor’s degree, or 10+ years of experience after the date for the completion of your Master’s Degree
- Software engineering background and leadership experience that includes leading small (< 6 people) to mid-sized (6 – 12 people) engineering teams
- People/Functional management experience with proven performance management, mentoring, coaching, and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to interface with senior internal personnel on significant community matters, often requiring coordination between organizations
- Experience with managing projects to ensure work scope, schedule, and budget are well defined and maintained
- Demonstrated abilities to build diverse and inclusive teams with high levels of engagement, including mentoring and coaching
- Demonstrated experience exhibiting inclusive leadership behaviors to create and reinforce a psychologically safe team environment
- Current knowledge in the technologies, methodologies, processes and tools used in the software industry with a demonstrated track record of deploying these on programs
- Current/active Secret security clearance with ability to be cleared TS/SCI
- Previous or current experience as a people manager
- Previous or current experience as a manager of managers
- Previous experience with building an Engineering organization
- Previous experience with software metrics to support estimating and development productivity
- Hold an active TS or TS/SCI clearance
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.