Vice President of Business Development
Job Description BAE Systems’ Intelligence & Security Sector (I&S) is seeking a Vice President of Business Development for its Integrated Defense Solutions (IDS) Business Area. Reporting directly to the Sector Vice President, Business Winning, this executive will partner with their business area leadership team to drive the organization’s strategic growth objectives around being a Systems Integrator (SI) by developing and refining an understanding of customers’ most important needs and creating/leading winning capture strategies. With responsibility for a staff of business development professionals serving the various IDS Business Units, the selected individual will lead customer engagement, pipeline growth, proposals submitted, and the process for capturing awards at a greater than 55% Capture Rate. In addition, this individual will plan and recommend BD and marketing strategies to achieve maximum customer and market penetration and to drive tactical and strategic growth. The preferred location for this position is McLean Virginia and will require frequent travel (>50%) to company and/or Customer locations.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Grow the opportunity pipeline to 10X of IDS annual revenues, to include existing as well as adjacent markets/customers, through diligent and timely identification/qualification of new business opportunities by leveraging current technologies, customer relationships, and inter-company collaboration
- Develop and execute strategic and tactical plans for the pursuit and successful capture of key opportunities
- Lead and manage team of BD professionals and Capture Leaders to maximize customer engagement with efficient territory management and positioning to win new business
- Obtain marketing intelligence and competitive data pertaining to potential targeted pursuits, and develop marketing strategies
- Participate in bid decisions, development of cost strategies and phase reviews
- Establish, build, and maintain customer relationships and assess competitor capabilities aligned to specific customers in intelligence community.
- Support creation and execution of multi-year business development strategies
- Participate in IRAD reviews and manage Business Area allocations of Technical Marketing (TM), Bid & Proposal (B&P), as well as overall department’s indirect budgets (this includes costs for personnel and Other Indirect Costs (such as Travel & Expenses)
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical or business-related discipline
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant BD experiences and/or customer (Navy/Army) mission experiences
- Demonstrated success in leading and winning contracts >$100M
- Ability to identify, establish and use important customer relationships with senior level officials and program stakeholders within defense and intelligence community
- Demonstrated success in leading and growing Intelligences services, DoD services, or solutions businesses with at least $500M in revenue
- Demonstrated knowledge of systems integration, Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), IT services, deployment of cloud and high performance computing, cyber security, software development.
- Experience leading opportunity captures, including: developing overall win strategy; shaping deals with customers; developing teaming strategies, identifying and closing with teammates; understanding pricing and assist in developing winning price
- Demonstrated background in solution selling, developing new markets, with proven leadership from inception to fruition of a strategic campaign.
- Direct and support new business development opportunities to improve the company’s business portfolio to include marketing and customer call plans
- Ability to develop, document, and execute a plan for achieving awards/growth
- Knowledge of Government contracting and current acquisition trends and customer buying behaviors
- Knowledge of competitors and ability to model competitor behaviors in the market,
- Experience in budget management of B&P, IRAD and overhead budgets
- Excellent writing, communication skills with experience presenting to senior executives and customers
- Proven experience leading large geographically diverse teams; strong coaching and mentoring skills; ability to achieve results through others.
- M.B.A. or similar Masters including advanced Military Education
- Preferred location: McLean Virginia
- Preferred ability to hold a TS/SCI level clearance
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.