Prepares project design drawings, specifications, schedules and cost estimates for facility and infrastructure projects for construction. Responsible for ensuring project designs meet customer’s requirements and adhere to all applicable code requirements and industry standards. Directs inspectors in construction management activities and solves construction issues as they arise. Provides leadership and mentoring to junior engineers. Develops engineering standards for installation facilities construction. Develops and champions the installation’s goal to provide quality facilities. Evaluates plans/criteria and completes special analyses supporting efforts accomplished by others. Provides technical expertise on a variety of engineering activities. Liaises with customers and supervisors to plan, manage, design, and supervise the construction of projects.
- Determine work classification of project scope and work with contract programmer on issues arising from such determinations.
- Develop plans for installation of systems, utilization of facilities, or construction of structures that comply with programmed scope and costs. Draft/supervise drafting of detailed plans and construction documents. Assure drawings are prepared in compliance with appropriate drawing (tri-service) standards.
- Complies with AFI 32-1023, in additional to specific contractual guidance in accomplishment of design services. Prepares facility project designs to account for all known conditions and constraints, to allow for maximum flexibility, and to ensure adherence to all building codes, regulatory laws and safety standards as contractually defined. Completes thorough design analyses on projects and studies, conceptual designs, schematic designs (with cost estimates) and design development documentation, providing a complete and accurate design for all elements of projects. Provides designs compliant with all applicable building, fire, safety and handicapped accessibility codes; regulatory laws, UFC, AF directives and base standards. Coordinates and documents the complete design process and ensures designs incorporate uniformity of building materials and utility distribution systems that are compliant with Sheppard AFB standards. Confer with customer/supervisor to determine project details, such as scope of work, timing of work, phasing requirements, plan preparation, acceptance issues, special conditions, or other matters.
- Determine material quantities, labor requirements and other factors, and such information in preparing detailed, accurate projections of construction costs. Prepare documents presenting costs for use in programming projects, preparing budgeting plans, and assessing validity of contractor bids.
- Submits necessary construction documents to Base Contracting and attends project pre-bid conferences and site visits; provides any necessary project amendments and RFI clarification to Contracting in a timely manner. Participate in contract solicitation, bid review, award, and pre-work activities. Assure contract documents (e.g. signed drawings, purchase requests, submittal listings, etc) are promptly prepared, executed and delivered. Prepare detailed statements of work for construction projects.
- Review contract submittals for compliance with contract specifications. Inspect project site and evaluate contractor compliance with contract requirements. Oversee activities of project inspectors to assure regular and accurate daily inspection of contractor work.
- Assure complete and appropriate project closeout, including fiscal closeout, asbuilt and record drawing completion, etc.
- Supports Portfolio Optimization through management of investment planning through base comprehensive planning, project planning and requirements integration; directs program development and preparation of programming documents for executed projects. Provide input to the base Community Planner in development of the General Plan. Collaborate with the Community Planner, Planner/Programmer and shop craftsmen in developing long range infrastructure plans. Provides expertise in prioritiazation of work in preparing those plans.
- Coordinates with BCAMP Managers on Facilities, Utilities, Transportation Networks and Natural Infrastructure to support BCAMP development.
- Schedule and host design charrettes and follow-on design reviews designed by outside A/Es; control project scope and cost, remaining within AF space standards and project programmed amount.
- Provide input to the base Community Planner in development of the General Plan. Collaborate with the Community Planner, Planner/Programmer and shop craftsmen in developing long range infrastructure plans. Provides expertise in prioritiazation of work in preparing those plans.
- Education/Certifications: Bachelor of Science Degree or higher in Electrical engineering. PE or EIT with the ability to obtain Professional Engineering Licensure in Texas either by reciprocity or examination within 60 days. Corrosion Control & Cathodic Protection training and certification by NACE. Able to qualify for a SECRET security clearance.
- Experience: Five (5) years of electrical building and utility design experience preferred. Power system, power distribution, lighting design, fire and life safety system, and construction coordination experience preferred. AutoCAD experience preferred. Air Force or DoD experience preferred. Working knowledge or familiarity of USAF Civil Engineering processes and procedures highly desirable.