Director, Contracts - Power & Propulsion Solutions
- Engage everyone with respect and goodwill
- Stay calm independent of circumstances
- Be humble and work collaboratively
- Feel empowered to do the right thing
- Listen, be curious, and allow differences to influence our decisions
BAE Systems is looking for a motivated and experienced Contracts professional to join our PPS Contracts Organization. The successful candidate should have experience with development and production programs, commercial and government contracts, change proposals and program pursuits. This Director position, reports directly to the Sector Vice President of Contracts and is on the staff of the Business Area Vice President and General Manager. The successful candidate will lead all contracting activities for the PPS Business Area with a supporting Contracts team resident in both Endicott, New York and Rochester, UK.
This position will be responsible for ensuring compliance with company policies, legal and customer requirements with limited guidance or supervision from the Sector Vice President, Contracts. The successful candidate will need to interpret and communicate business commitments and alternatives to the PPS Leadership Team and the Contracts management organization. This position requires an extensive knowledge of commercial, international, and government contracting methods, applicable laws and regulations and the ability to develop and maintain professional and dependable relationships with both internal and external customers. Lastly, the selected candidate should have prior history with management of personnel.
Basic Functions of the Job:
The selected candidate will work with customers to shape and close business opportunities in concert with internal objectives for the PPS Business Area and Sector Contracts. Work products and interactions will be at multiple levels, from your Contracts team, to the PPS Leadership Team.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consistently works on complex assignments requiring independent action and a high degree of initiative to resolve issues as well as an understanding and compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with business partners to build and nurture a supportive and inclusive team that utilizes best practice talent management approaches. Leads by example by showing compassion and care when mentoring, coaching, training and providing feedback to team.
- Ability to interact with the team to gather, interpret, analyze, develop and recommended strategies and present information.
- Compliance with Company policies and procedures, legal, regulatory and customer requirements.
- Provide leadership to drive effective contract and performance execution to help organization deliver positive financial performance throughout all acquisition phases to include varying complexity of development and production contracts.
- Prepare, negotiate and manage proposals/contracts across international and domestic environments.
- Cross functional collaboration with Program Management, Finance, Engineering, Operations, Legal and Export teams. Maintain and demonstrate a working understanding of the U.S. government and Commercial acquisition and procurement environments, the BAE Systems Contracts function and relevant Company policies and procedures and Commercial Contracting methods and practices.
- Provide leadership to support staffing, training, mentoring and performance management of Contracting professionals to ensure effective staffing and growth.
- Bachelor’s degree with a business related focus or liberal arts
- Extensive experience commercial contracting.
- Strong knowledge and practical experience with intellectual property protection strategies and policies.
- Exhibit sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel and customers at high organizational levels
- Experience with a wide range of agreements to support business development and program management teams (ex. supply agreements, NDAs, bailment agreements, teaming agreements, advisor agreements and/or distributor agreements, software licensing etc.).
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.