Senior Ceramic Engineer
Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking a Senior Ceramic Engineer with expertise in ceramic materials to join our team in Albany, OR. The position will allow for a hybrid of onsite and remote (one day/week) research and development support for the NETL R&D facility in Albany, OR. This position will be a part of a distributed, multidisciplinary team working on the cutting edge of ceramic matrix composite (CMC), thermal/environmental barrier coatings (TBC/EBC), and refractory ceramics research. The candidate should possess knowledge of and practical experience with conducting research on processing-microstructure-property-performance relationships on ceramic materials. A practical knowledge of characterization techniques is required.
This work will involve a scientific, and technically-oriented national laboratory team, participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists that produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems, to advancing technologies that produce, transport, and utilize hydrogen and other fuels, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled women and men at NETL’s three research sites – [Register to View] target="_blank">Albany, Oregon; [Register to View] target="_blank">Morgantown, West Virginia, and [Register to View] target="_blank">Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Evaluate refractory ceramics in simulated gasifier environments
- Characterize refractory degradation using SEM, XRD, EPMA, Laser Confocal Microscope
- Contribute to the EBC development from design to performance evaluation
- Develop potential projects on CMCs.
- Collect, analyze, and report experimental data from experiments.
- Experience with data processing and analysis software as well as Microsoft Office products including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel is required.
- Participate and present results in regular team meetings, national conferences.
- Write manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Ph.D. in materials science and engineering or a closely related field with an emphasis in research on ceramic materials with 3+ years of postgraduate research and development experience in laboratory operations
- Must have experience with refractory ceramics with a preference in simulated gasifier environments
- Must have experience with EBC and TBC
- Must possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, and materials science
- Ability to obtain and maintain access to NETL site
- Demonstrated ability authoring publications for peer-reviewed journals, presenting at conferences, and presenting results to stakeholders related to their research work.
- Research work at a structured laboratory like a national lab where safety is paramount
Salary Range for this position: $115K to $125K
Pay Range:Pay Range $97,500.00 - $150,000.00 - $202,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.