We are seeking a Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering in the Carmel, IN area. This role will require oversight and QA/QC of both simple and complex engineering projects, working directly with clients, and ensuring the Leidos reputation of high quality is maintained.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
·Professional Engineer License (PE)
·Project Management Professional (PMP)
In this role, you can also expect to gain experience in:
·Structural Pole Modeling
·Electrical Power Calculations
·GIS design training
·Project and financial management
·Client design standards
In this role, the qualified individual will be expected to:
- Perform design engineering
- Manage scope, schedule and budget of work assigned
- Review engineering design packages with clients
- Perform functional tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
- Perform scope analysis of work assigned and maintain schedule adherence in support of client priorities.
- Establish and develop client relationships while providing a positive influence in leading a team and collaborating with peers.
- Initiate continuous improvement to work flow processes that drive efficiency and high quality standards in client design deliverables.
- More experienced/senior candidates may have the opportunity to lead and develop a team of engineers
- Be comfortable in both a field and office setting ; Provide their own reliable transportation, as some customer-related travel may be anticipated (Job-related travel will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates.)
Project work will include developing work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready and Street Light projects, using customer GIS and WMS systems such as DDS, GDT, GE Smallworld, Bentley Expert Designer and Maximo. Successful candidates will have some prior experience with structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, calculations of electric demand and fault currents. Candidates will gain experience in coordination of conflicting utilities, and other field engineering design requirements, the assessment and development of design big packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements and ROW applications. This position may also require customer-site visits to collect field data that will assist in the development of work packages.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial preferred)
- 2+ years of prior relevant experience: Relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company performing design engineering for electric distribution
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and distribution construction standards
- Experience with work management software and job estimating software
- Experience using CAD tools
Nice to haves:
- Experience providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC
- Experience with design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, Spida-Calc, DDS
- Experience with design standards
Professional Attributes that will help you succeed in this role:
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills and supporting of customer advocacy
- Collaborative attitude and inclusivity of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Professional demeanor
No two career paths will ever look the same. At [Register to View] target="_blank">Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.