Student and Family Programs Coordinator
Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view open positions.
All Job Postings will close at 12:01 a.m. CT on the specified Closing Date (if designated). To view the job posting closing date please return to the search for jobs page.
If you close the browser or exit your application prior to submitting, the application process will be saved as a draft. You will be able to access and complete the application through “My Draft Applications” located on your Candidate Home page.
Type of Position:Professional Staff (Non-Classified)
Institution Name: University of Arkansas at Fort Smith
The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith is a vibrant mid-sized public university dedicated to breaking the higher education mold by bringing truly transformative, hands-on experiences to every student. From high school seniors to senior professionals, first-generation students to second-chancers, our goal is to provide a high-quality, future-focused education that honors each student's unique, personal situations and goals. Our tiered approach to learning offers students access to more than 80-degree plans and programs including certificate, associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees. We seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse population of Arkansas, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, and perspectives.
Located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border and situated in a region of lakes, Fort Smith is the second-largest city in Arkansas and features a vast array of cultural activities, shopping, dining, and entertainment, including a thriving downtown entertainment district. Parks, trails, and water recreation are all within the city limits, and true outdoor enthusiasts will find the area’s lakes, streams, and mountains offer adventure only minutes away from campus. Fort Smith was recently named by Forbes as the number one city in America for the cost of living, and a top city in the nation for the highest-paying tech jobs. The city is within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Little Rock, and Memphis.
Thank you for your interest in joining our university. Below you will find details for the position including any supplementary documentation and/or questions you should review before submitting your application. For general application assistance or if you have questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources at [Register to View] .
If you have a disability and need assistance with the hiring process please contact Human Resources at [Register to View] . Applicants are required to submit a request for each position to which they have applied.
Department:Dean of Students
Summary of Job Duties:Reporting directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor and Dean of Students, the New Student and Family Programs Coordinator is responsible for the planning, implementation, and coordination of all activities related to the onboarding of new students and their parents to the University of Arkansas Fort Smith. The coordinator will play a key role in the development of student leaders while creating a culture of inclusivity, collaboration, and service. The coordinator will receive direction and support from the Director of Student Activities pertaining to duties in support of Registered Student Organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Bilingual (Spanish).
- Masters Degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel, Student Affairs or similar program.
- Work experience in a higher education setting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Student Affairs in Higher Education.
- Ability to handle and prioritize diverse tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently and efficiently.
- Ability to foster strong relationships across multiple campus units and the ability to work with diverse populations.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and proofreading.
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Knowledge of various Social Media platforms.
- Public speaking.
Essential Job Duties:
- Direct all aspects of new student orientation and transfer student orientation activities including the recruitment, selection, and training of student leaders, planning and implementation of these programs, and promotion of new student orientation and its components to various on and off-campus constituencies. Ensure a high-quality onboarding experience rooted in student development theory and best practices for all incoming students.
- Plan and implement events or appropriate outreach efforts designed to facilitate relationship building with parents and families through our new student orientation, Parent and Family Weekend, Homecoming, graduation celebrations, prospective student events, and admitted student yield events. Ensure all students and their families feel welcome and connected from admission through graduation.
- Implement assessment tools that measure and track the impact of programs and services designed to promote a sense of leadership, inclusion, collaboration, and service. Provide guidance on issues impacting retention, persistence, and academic success, referring students to resources appropriate and necessary.
- Co-Advise the Cub Camp program with the AVC and Dean of Students. The coordinator will participate in the recruitment, selection, and training of camp staff. Additionally, the coordinator will co-supervise the Cub Camp Student Director and assist with the implementation of all aspects of the program.
- Serve as an event planning consultant to our Admissions Office on large-scale prospective student events and yield activities such a Den Day and Night with Numa.
- Assist the Director of Student Activities by providing additional support to Registered Student Organizations.
- Create and maintain a robust partnership with Alumni Affairs to engage Lion family members in giving opportunities and programs.
- Create and distribute a quarterly Parent and Family newsletter.
- Create and maintain a Parent and Family Programs website and social media accounts.
$34,000 - $36,000
Cover Letter/Letter of Application, Resume, Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)
Required Documents to Apply:
Proof of Veteran Status
HR [Register to View]
Recruitment Contact Information:
All application materials must be uploaded to the University of Arkansas System Career Site [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View]
Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Constant Physical Activity:Hearing, Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding, Repetitive Motion, Sitting, Standing, Talking, Walking
Frequent Physical Activity:N/A
Occasional Physical Activity:N/A