Assistant Athletic Trainer
Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view open positions.
All Job Postings will close at 12:01 a.m. CT on the specified Closing Date (if designated). To view the job posting closing date please return to the search for jobs page.
If you close the browser or exit your application prior to submitting, the application process will be saved as a draft. You will be able to access and complete the application through “My Draft Applications” located on your Candidate Home page.
Type of Position:Professional Staff - Athletic Affairs
Day Shift (United States of America)
University of Arkansas at Fort Smith
The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith is a vibrant mid-sized public university dedicated to breaking the higher education mold by bringing truly transformative, hands-on experiences to every student. From high school seniors to senior professionals, first-generation students to second-chancers, our goal is to provide a high-quality, future-focused education that honors each student's unique, personal situations and goals. Our tiered approach to learning offers students access to more than 80-degree plans and programs including certificate, associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees. We seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse population of Arkansas, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, and perspectives.
Located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border and situated in a region of lakes, Fort Smith is the second-largest city in Arkansas and features a vast array of cultural activities, shopping, dining, and entertainment, including a thriving downtown entertainment district. Parks, trails, and water recreation are all within the city limits, and true outdoor enthusiasts will find the area’s lakes, streams, and mountains offer adventure only minutes away from campus. Fort Smith was recently named by Forbes as the number one city in America for the cost of living, and a top city in the nation for the highest-paying tech jobs. The city is within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Little Rock, and Memphis.
Thank you for your interest in joining our university. Below you will find details for the position including any supplementary documentation and/or questions you should review before submitting your application. For general application assistance or if you have questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources at [Register to View] .
If you have a disability and need assistance with the hiring process please contact Human Resources at [Register to View] . Applicants are required to submit a request for each position to which they have applied.
The assistant athletic trainer is responsible for assisting the head athletic trainer to provide primary medical care to student athletes participating in the university sports programs. The assistant athletic trainer reports to the director of athletics.
Summary of Job Duties:
- Bachelor’s degree in sports medicine or a related health field.
- Plus one year of related work experience. (Related work as a Graduate Assistant may count towards one year or work experience.)
- Must be certified by NATA-BOC; licensed by the Arkansas State Board of Athletic Training (or eligible to obtain license, application for license must be submitted by official start date).
- Have a valid driver’s license (MVR completed on finalists).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of sports medicine and injuries
- Good organization and communication skills
- Ability to perform job with little or no direct supervision from head athletic trainer
- Ability to perform physically demanding, work experience with medical equipment
- Knowledge of HIPAA parameters and discretion in dealing with medical issues
- Familiarity with NCAA and Lonestar Conference
- Have a current CPR/First Aid certification (or obtain prior to start date)
Essential Job Duties:
- Provide prevention, treatment, and physical rehabilitation of sports injuries
- Set up and coverage of team practices and games, including travel
- Documentation of daily treatments and student athlete’s information
- Maintain athletic training facility, including supplies and equipment inventory
- Communication with doctors and scheduling appointments as needed
Commensurate with education and experience
Cover Letter/Letter of Application, Resume, Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)
Required Documents to Apply:
Proof of Veteran Status
HR [Register to View]
Recruitment Contact Information:
All application materials must be uploaded to the University of Arkansas System Career Site [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View]
Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.