Coordinator, Upward Bound
Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view open positions.
All Job Postings will close at 12:01 a.m. CT on the specified Closing Date (if designated). To view the job posting closing date please return to the search for jobs page.
If you close the browser or exit your application prior to submitting, the application process will be saved as a draft. You will be able to access and complete the application through “My Draft Applications” located on your Candidate Home page.
Type of Position:Professional Staff - Project/Program Administration
Work Shift:Day Shift (United States of America)
Institution Name: University of Arkansas at Fort Smith
The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith is a vibrant mid-sized public university dedicated to breaking the higher education mold by bringing truly transformative, hands-on experiences to every student. From high school seniors to senior professionals, first-generation students to second-chancers, our goal is to provide a high-quality, future-focused education that honors each student's unique, personal situations and goals. Our tiered approach to learning offers students access to more than 80-degree plans and programs including certificate, associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees. We seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse population of Arkansas, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, and perspectives.
Located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border and situated in a region of lakes, Fort Smith is the second-largest city in Arkansas and features a vast array of cultural activities, shopping, dining, and entertainment, including a thriving downtown entertainment district. Parks, trails, and water recreation are all within the city limits, and true outdoor enthusiasts will find the area’s lakes, streams, and mountains offer adventure only minutes away from campus. Fort Smith was recently named by Forbes as the number one city in America for the cost of living, and a top city in the nation for the highest-paying tech jobs. The city is within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Little Rock, and Memphis.
Thank you for your interest in joining our university. Below you will find details for the position including any supplementary documentation and/or questions you should review before submitting your application. For general application assistance or if you have questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources at [Register to View] .
If you have a disability and need assistance with the hiring process please contact Human Resources at [Register to View] . Applicants are required to submit a request for each position to which they have applied.
Department:Upward Bound Classic Program
Summary of Job Duties:The coordinator is involved in all aspects of the Upward Bound Classic grant including planning, developing, and implementing program activities and services that will promote academic success and secondary and post-secondary completion. The coordinator will assist the director with participant recruitment and selection, program record keeping, summer academy and the Bridge program supervision, and other related duties as required or assigned. Upward Bound Classic is a part of the TRIO umbrella and is funded by the Department of Education. The position reports to Director of Upward Bound Classic.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Two years of work experience in a secondary or higher education setting or related field.
- Master’s degree.
- Former Upward Bound participants or who have overcome barriers similar to the participants
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
- Ability to generate interest in post-secondary completion and professional careers among participants.
- Knowledge of learning assistance systems and experience in organizing educational activities and workshops for high school students.
- Demonstrate a commitment to academic excellence.
- Knowledge of curriculum development, competency-based tutorial instruction and educational technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively, both independently and in a diverse team environment.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills and effective interpersonal skills.
Essential Job Duties:
- Participate in the assessment of the participant’s academic needs, implementation of participants’ college portfolios, meet with individual students on a regular basis and document each participant’s success with program objectives using grade reports, individual meeting assessments, and input from the tutoring program.
- Assist in planning, developing, and implementing the following program activities, services and workshops for the academic year and the summer academy: curriculum and academic tutorial support for the high school core courses, academic advisement, enrichment programs, study and life skills, career awareness, and the college selection process.
- Assist the director with participant recruitment, selection and program record-keeping.
- Work closely with students, their families, and school officials on academic, personal, career planning, financial planning, and college transition issues.
- Manage daily operations of the office including scheduling group travel, purchasing, and reporting problems to the Director.
- Manage the office in the Director’s absence.
- Attend professional development meetings and conferences.
Low to Mid 30s
Cover Letter/Letter of Application, Resume, Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)
Required Documents to Apply:
Proof of Veteran Status
HR [Register to View]
Recruitment Contact Information:
All application materials must be uploaded to the University of Arkansas System Career Site [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View]
Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Constant Physical Activity:N/A
Frequent Physical Activity:N/A
Occasional Physical Activity:N/A