Energy Systems Engineer
Provides analytical support to the Decision and Infrastructure Sciences (DIS) Division through the application of energy systems research, risk analysis, and assessment of dependencies and interdependencies across critical infrastructure systems. These responsibilities include developing, evaluating, and applying a range of tools, datasets, and strategies to support energy systems analysis.
IN THIS POSITION, THE CANDIDATE WILL:
- Support principal investigators in the development and implementation of research methodologies to analyze energy systems and related infrastructure.
- Conduct research related to a wide range of topic areas including the analysis of energy and power system security and resilience; optimization of energy system operations; interdependencies among the power grid, oil and natural gas, transportation, communications and water and wastewater; and strategies for enhancing the resilience of energy systems to various threats and hazards, including climate change.
- Develop/contribute to analyses, tools, models, reports, and technical publications in support of sponsored research programs on energy systems and related infrastructure.
- Develop concept papers on emerging topics and issues related to security and resilience of energy systems.
- Participate in conferences, seminars, and meetings as requested by principal investigators and sponsors.
- Advanced degree in a relevant science or engineering field such as electrical engineering, industrial engineering, civil engineering, applied mathematics, computer science, or similar.
- Ability to design energy system research projects; develop, test, and apply relevant analytic methods; and clearly present results.
- Knowledge of energy systems and market analysis tools that support infrastructure planning and operations.
- Experience with applied optimization and tools to model energy systems or their components.
- Experience with analyzing large data sets and developing and using statistical tools (e.g., R).
- Experience with computer programming, including exposure to one or more languages such as C ++, Java Script, Julia, Python, Visual Basic, Dojo, or HTML.
- Skill in oral and written communication, particularly in effectively integrating information from various sources into cohesive analyses.
- Skill in independently developing technical approaches as well as contributing effectively to team efforts to meet research requirements.
- Skill in producing end-results within specific time-frames through a combination of self-motivated and manager-directed initiatives, often with tight deadlines.
- Successful applicants for this position must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, be able to successfully obtain a "Q" security clearance, and pass a drug test prior to employment.
RD2: Bachelor's Degree and 5+ years work experience, or Master's Degree and 3+ years work experience, or Doctorate and 0 years or their equivalents.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileEng Systems Modeling-Simulation-Analysis 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.