Nuclear Engineer 1
Are you interested in being part of an innovative team that supports Westinghouse’s mission to provide clean energy solutions? At Westinghouse, we recognize that our employees are our most valuable asset and we seek to identify, attract and recruit the most qualified talent while recognizing and encouraging the value of diversity in the global workplace.
If this sounds like an environment you would thrive in, we have an exciting opportunity for a Nuclear Engineer in Radiation Engineering & Analysis.
The Radiation Engineering & Analysis (REA) group at Westinghouse is looking for a nuclear engineer to support its continued growth. Recent graduates (BS, MS) and early career professionals are encouraged to apply.
REA has supported the design and analysis of PWRs since the early days of the commercial nuclear power industry. Its scope has expanded from the Westinghouse fleet to include the Combustion Engineering PWR fleet, the BWR fleet, and several advanced reactor designs such as the Westinghouse AP1000® plant and eVinciTM microreactor. Our market is global with customers in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas, covering the operating fleet, decommissioning, and new build. To meet this demand, our staff is also global with engineers in the U.S., Spain, and Germany.
- Neutron transport calculations in and around the reactor vessel
- Review plant drawings and build transport models
- Perform fluence, activation, heating rate, and dosimetry calculations
- Critically analyze results & produce technical documentation
- Radiation source term calculations
- Post-irradiation compositions using ORIGEN, coolant activity, etc.
- Support for the Decontamination & Decommissioning (D&D) of retiring plants
- Radiation shielding calculations
- Decay heat analysis
We use many state-of-the-art codes that were developed in-house including RAPTOR-M3G, our latest 3D discrete-ordinates tool. The in-house codes supplement our use of publicly available nuclear codes (e.g. MCNP, DOORS and SCALE) to meet the specific needs of our customers. Most calculations are performed in the Linux environment.
Occasional travel to industry meetings and/or to customer sites for short field work assignments may be required. This full-time opportunity is located at the Westinghouse Headquarters based in Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Your technical areas:
REA’s technical areas are as follows and relevant experience is a plus:
- Radiation transport with deterministic codes and Monte Carlo codes
- Neutron Fluence and Gamma-Ray Heat Generation Rate Analyses of PWRs and/or BWRs.
- Reactor Dosimetry calculations for Surveillance Capsule and/or Ex-Vessel Neutron Dosimetry
- Spent Fuel and Cask Management
Who You Are:
As a successful candidate, you will bring the following to the team:
A successful candidate is required to possess:
- BS or MS in Nuclear Engineering required.
- 0 to 3 years applicable experience.
The following characteristics are preferred but not required:
- Experience with Linux, programming, and computational simulation
- Experience with relevant computer codes (MCNP, SCALE, etc.)
- Proficiency in additional languages in addition to English
Keywords: AP1000, nuclear engineer, radiation, radiation, neutron, photon, gamma, transport, DORT, TORT, DOORS, SCALE, MCNP, MCNP5, MCNP6, ORIGEN, fluence, fluence rate, heating rate, heating rates, gamma heating, dosimetry, reactor dosimetry, activation, discrete ordinates, decontamination, decommissioning , D&D, source term, decay heat
Westinghouse Electric Company is the global nuclear energy industry’s first choice for safe, clean, and efficient energy solutions. We enable our delivery of this vision by living our value system:
- Safety and Quality
- Integrity and Trust
- Customer Focus and Innovation
- Speed and Passion to Win
- Teamwork and Accountability
Westinghouse offers competitive benefits to all our employees around the globe to keep them healthy and enhance their well-being. In the U.S. the following are representative of what we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Health, Wellness and Income Protection Benefits
- 401(k) Savings Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Opportunities for Flexible Work Arrangements
- Educational Reimbursement Program
- Employee Referral Program
While our Global Headquarters are located in Cranberry Township, PA, we have over 9,000 employees working at locations in 19 different countries. You can learn more by visiting [Register to View] .
EOE of Minorities / Females / Vets / Disability.
Get connected with Westinghouse on social media:
[Register to View] | [Register to View] | [Register to View] | [Register to View]