Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where world- class researchers work alongside experts from industry, academia and other government laboratories to address vital national challenges in clean energy, environment, technology and national security. As a member of the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) High Performance Computing (HPC) team, you will directly work with first class machines and emergent technologies alongside scientific staff and research colleagues within the division.
The selected individual will primarily assist with the installation and support of ALCF data, storage, and interconnect networks within an HPC environment. This position will also work on scripting, automation, and monitoring in support of the networks.
- Strong background in Ethernet and InfiniBand networking technologies
- Good knowledge of networking architectures and topologies, administrative practices, and high availability and performance techniques
- Good knowledge of the Layer 1 hardware for optical networking
- Practical experience with the administration of routers and switches
- Working knowledge of UNIX systems administration, with emphasis on Linux
- Working knowledge of one or more scripting languages
- Ability to write concise documentation
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Flexibility in handling assignments and working on several projects simultaneously
- Ability to model Argonne's core values: teamwork, impact, safety, respect and teamwork
- Knowledge of data transfer techniques and mechanics of long-haul performance
- Knowledge of designing network performant servers
- Practical experience with the Mellanox UFM
- Knowledge of capability-class HPC systems architecture and workflows
- Knowledge of parallel and cluster file systems such as Lustre and GPFS
- Understanding of MPI implementations such as MPICH and LAMS
- Knowledge of high-performance computing techniques, graphics, and visualization
- Experience with automation/configuration management technologies
- Awareness of a wide variety of open-source technologies relevant to HPC administration, such as resource management integrations, data and storage systems, system wide monitoring infrastructures, software environment deployment, and continuous integration
This position can be hired at one of two levels, and the requirements for each are as follows:
- PT2: Bachelor's degree and 2+ years of experience, or equivalent
- PT3: Bachelor's degree and 4+ years of experience, or a Master's degree + 2 years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSystems Integration Admin/Support 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.