Post-Bachelor Earth Science Appointment
Argonne National Laboratory Environmental Science division invites outstanding candidates to apply for the Post-Bachelor Appointment in earth science, focusing on geophysical application in shallow subsurface. The appointment is for three months and can be renewed.
This appointment is intended to encourage scientists actively engaged in state-of-the-art research in geophysical exploration for shallow subsurface and hydrology. Candidates must have received a recent Bachelor's prior to beginning the appointment.
The Environmental Science Division at Argonne National Laboratory seeks well-prepared candidates for a post-bachelor position in geophysics and related scientific computing and data analysis. The successful candidate will be performing research in the evaluation of geophysical methods for shallow subsurface exploration, groundwater assessment, and potential contaminant detections.
- B.S. in geophysics, geology, hydrology, environmental science, engineering or a related discipline (completed in the last 3 years or soon to be completed)
- Knowledge of geophysics, hydrology, environmental engineering, or a related field or knowledge of numerical methods and computational mathematics or computational statistics
- Collaborative skills, including the ability to work well with scientists at other laboratories and universities
- Experience in data acquisition/ processing programming experience in Python, R or others, and UNIX/LINUX
- Interest in research for machine learning and its application for geophysics and hydrology
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- CV, three letters of reference, and university transcripts will be required
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
Job FamilyTemporary Family
Job ProfilePredoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeShort-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypePart time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.