Argonne National Laboratory is looking for a talented Assistant Locksmith to join the Physical Security Department, under the direction of the Safeguards and Security (SAS) Division.
Argonne National Laboratory is one of the top scientific destinations in the world. The Argonne Safeguards and Security Division implements the physical security program for the site. Our Physical Security mission at Argonne National Laboratory is designed to provide physical protection of Departmental material, equipment, property, and facilities, including barriers, sensors, surveillance devices, entry control devices, access control systems, and power systems operated and used to support the protection of Department of Energy (DOE) property, classified information, and other interests of national security. This position will be responsible for assisting the Master Locksmith with planning, maintenance, procurement, installation, and repair of physical access control hardware and equipment.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Enters data into a database for key control tracking and accountability.
- Cut a variety of new or duplicate keys.
- Change key combinations for different key variations or to correlate with master key system.
- Maintains records of locks, keys, and combinations to safes, vaults, file cabinets, and other pieces of equipment.
- Responsible for making keys, repairing locks, open locks, and changes lock combinations using common hand tools and special equipment such as key duplicating machines, files, grinders, picks, and drills.
- Disassembles door and safe locks and repairs or replaces worn tumblers, springs, and other parts.
- Considerable knowledge regarding operation, installation and repair of physical access control systems/devices.
- Familiarity with the latest trends in hardware and technology relating to physical access control.
- Must have capabilities of performing assigned tasks on a day-to-day basis with minimal supervision.
- The ability to interact effectively with a variety of technical, scientific and administrative employees is important.
- Must possess mechanical ability and have good organizational skills.
- Prepare, publish and revise technical specifications, policies, procedures, forms and job aides for applications across the Lab.
- Obtains a thorough understanding of the project objectives and goals by studying and understanding the scope of work with an emphasis on security requirements.
- Monitor the work order queue and capture new requests as tickets, and document progress towards fulfillment in the work order system.
The most qualified candidate(s) will ideally possess the following:
- Candidate must have, or be able to obtain, Certified Institutional Locksmiths Certification. This certification may come from Institutional Locksmiths’ Association (ILA-CIL), ALOA Institutional Locksmith (ALOA-ICRL) or equivalent.
- Possess an Associate's degree and 5 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in development of security policies, procedures and plans to safeguard critical infrastructure and other high-value assets.
- Knowledge in electronic equipment evaluation and repair.
- Knowledge in applicable DOE orders and manuals.
- Maintain inventory within lab approved inventory tracking software.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- The ability to work collaboratively with people in a wide variety of job classifications at all levels of an organization. Proven ability to effectively cultivate and foster strong working relationships with team members, laboratory personnel, management, and external contacts.
- Experience conducting training classes.
- Conduct security surveys, threat assessments, and risk analysis. Prepares design criteria, bid specifications, cost estimates, and develops design documentation for high level exterior and interior physical security systems.
- The ability to multi-task and work independently in a fast-paced environment to produce results involving competing priorities and deadlines.
- Proficient with the use of personal computers and Windows applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, Power Point, Access, etc.).
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
This position is on-call 24/7 and must work off-shift when required. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen. Position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a “Q” clearance. Reviews and tests for the absence of illegal drugs as defined in 10 CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the Laboratory, and a background investigation will be conducted for employment.
Job FamilySupport Technical (ST)
Job ProfileLocksmith 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.