Argonne National Laboratory is searching for an Administrative Assistant to perform a comprehensive range of administrative, secretarial, and general services in support of the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) department. This role supports department management by ensuring that operational activities and administrative tasks are performed in an effective and timely manner. The Department Administrative Assistant will also manage complex assignments utilizing various software to compile data and generate reports, spreadsheets, statistics, timelines, tables, graphs, correspondence, and presentations.
Typical assignments include:
- Researching, compiling, and tracking data and information from multiple sources
- Organizing calendars and scheduling meetings
- Preparing presentations, various correspondence, and reports
- Managing OHS procedure updates and distribution
- Communicating with management, subject matter experts, contractors, and other stakeholders
- Coordinating travel arrangements
- Submitting and reconciling expense reports
- Assisting visitors in obtaining gate passes and provide general support
- Compiling and organizing various OHS stats and metrics
- Purchasing equipment and supplies
- Receiving and directing procurement packages
- Managing the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) program to include procurement, distribution, and inventory management
- Assisting with chemical management tracking and inventorying
- Knowledge of secretarial science, office practices and management, recordkeeping procedures, and English grammar and usage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills when interacting and communicating with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Strong analytical, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong team and collaborative skills
- Ability to self-manage and self-motivate
- Ability to work in an environment of ambiguity
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Expertise in using personal computers, office machines, and other office equipment
- Advanced Microsoft Office 365 experience & skills: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams, and Outlook
- Skill in scheduling appointments, arranging meetings, coordinating onsite visits of others, and coordinating travel arrangements
- Skill in compiling data for various reports, composing correspondence, and proofreading and editing
- Basic mathematical skills
- Basic knowledge of occupational safety and/or industrial health topics
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
The selected individual will be placed at the appropriate level (SA2 or SA3) depending on the depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and experience brought to the position. The requirements for the desired levels are as follows:
- SA2: High school diploma and 4+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent.
- SA3: High school diploma and 8+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties, and responsibilities required of the job incumbent. Consequently, the job incumbent may be required to complete other projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Job FamilySupport Administrative (SA)
Job ProfileAdministrative Support 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.