Enterprise Project Manager - Hybrid
An Operations Project Manager, under limited direction and with detailed procedures, manages multiple projects in support of Argonne’s operational functions including projects that impact areas such Human Resources, Financial Management, Safety, Quality, Office of the Director, etc. Projects will include implementations of new policies, theories, methods, procedures, programs, software, and infrastructure improvements related to operations.
This role will effectively and efficiently handle multiple and simultaneous, tasks and projects while working under minimal supervision to produce results. This role uses knowledge and experience to plan and direct multiple projects from initiation through delivery, under the direction of the Project Management Organization (PMO) Project Systems and Services (PSS) Program Manager and in coordination with the PMO Division Director. The role will require collaboration with institutional stakeholders and to perform matrixed work within other departments. The project manager must be able to work with a diverse set of stakeholders to plan and implement operational projects that help achieve the laboratory’s strategic goals. This requires developing creative solutions to complex problems.
The incumbent will be involved in:
- Developing, implementing, and delivering small to mid-scale projects, including facilitation and interactions with broad and diverse organizational resources, utilizing outlined project management and earned value management methodologies.
- Provide single point accountability for project delivery and often includes interactions with technical subject matter experts, licensed engineers and project managers with external certifications.
- Refine project scope, evaluate functional and operational requirements, design, testing, and activation of deliverables or implementation of business processes.
- Develop resource-loaded, time-phased, logic driven project schedules using software tools, preparing project documentation, participating in reviews; preparing, reviewing, and/or directing the preparation of status reports and other documentation; implementing change control processes and analyzing performance metrics to ensure successful completion of project objectives. In some instances, this will be additionally supported by internal Project Controls staff.
- Responsible for maintaining effective communication with clients, contractors and other project team members.
- Achieve greater results by working together across boundaries, actively sharing information, and promoting a sense that we are all on the same team.
- Establish courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Actively participate as team member to move the team toward the completion of goals; facilitating goal accomplishment; listening to and fully involving others in team decisions and actions; valuing and using individual differences and talents; sharing important or relevant information with the team.
This job description documents the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties, and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge and experience in interpretation and application of project management theories, principles, and computerized performance measurement systems for scope, schedule, cost, and risk.
- Knowledge of how to establish project scopes, project specifications, schedules, cost estimates, and managing operational efforts.
- Demonstrated strong communications, written, and oral skills. Skilled in developing, cultivating, and maintaining internal and external working relationships.
- Ability to think analytically and have strong attention to detail.
- Skills in negotiation and the ability to achieve designated project goals within a complex environment.
- Some experience with Earned Value Methodology, business administration, and financial system processes related to project management.
- Knowledge of and experience with DOE project management system requirements and practices.
- Some knowledge of computerized performance measurement systems for schedule and performance metrics.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced, heavily matrixed environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and to achieve desired goals on schedule and within budget.
- PMP Certification preferred but not required for consideration.
- Hybrid work available, onsite attendance is project driven.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
This role can be hired at one of two levels and the requirements for each are as follows:
- PT2: Bachelor’s degree + 2 years of experience, or equivalent
- PT3: Bachelor’s degree + 4 years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileProject Management and Planning 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.