Manager, Desktop Engineering (Endpoint Engineering)
Argonne National Laboratory is seeking a highly skilled Manager, Endpoint Engineering, to lead a team as part of the IT Infrastructure and Operations department in the Business and Information Services division. The Business and Information Services (BIS) Division at Argonne National Laboratory enables the work of the mission support and programmatic staff by providing effective, integrated, and secure information technology infrastructure and services. We provide business systems, collaboration and communication services, customer support, infrastructure and operations, network and telecommunications, and cyber security services in support of the mission of the Laboratory. With over 2500 endpoint devices under management, this role allows individuals to be a part of an engaging environment, build and communicate strategic visions and roadmaps and contribute to a world class of science.
You should be comfortable with modern Windows and MacOS management tools at the enterprise level and be able to translate business needs into scalable, reliable, and efficient technical solutions. Partnership with our managed services provider (service desk, field services) is integral to long-term success. Cyber security vulnerability management and reporting, combined with expert device fleet management skills, will be crucial to modernizing our approaches to endpoint engineering.
The management and leadership of this team will result in impactful architecture, design, and implementation strategies and projects. From initial device delivery to day-to-day application and operating system management, to refresh and replacement., a strong focus on improving the customer experience aspects of endpoint engineering will underline the role. We are a diverse, science-heavy environment balancing standardization versus platform flexibility, and reasonable trade-offs will need to be made to maintain a high level of user satisfaction.
- Knowledge of modern, enterprise-scale IT endpoint management and engineering best practices, tools, technologies, and platforms, especially for Windows and MacOS operating systems, in a hybrid work environment
- Knowledge of cyber security best practices, vulnerability management, and tools and platforms related to these areas
- Demonstrated understanding of how to successfully navigate a distributed enterprise IT environment, collaborating with other IT departments and leaders, while working towards building long-term, sustainable solutions through constructive collaboration
- Ability to build and maintain a close working partnership with Service Management and the Service Desk, including the field services team, hardware refresh team, and service desk team to ensure high levels of integration
- Experience in scoping and delivering complex systems-related projects, including managing resources, identifying risks and mitigations, and leading cross-functional teams
- Ability to anticipate and partner with stakeholders regarding requirements management
- Strong teaming and collaboration skills, working with cross-functional teams to achieve common goals
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills resulting in positive, productive interactions with external and internal contacts at all levels, including senior Laboratory management and distinguished visitors
- Ability to make independent decisions consistent with organizational vision, goals, policies, and procedures while utilizing sound judgment to take decisive action without all desired information
- Ability to build and socialize strategic roadmaps for key services
- Ability to prepare concise, persuasive, and grammatically correct written material Understanding of financial management practices for projects, contracts, and contractor management
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Bachelor's degree and 10+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSystems Integration Admin/Support Ldr 1
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.