Health & Safety Coordinator - Long Island, NY
PSEG Company: PSEG Long Island
Salary Range: $ 78,600 - $ 149,400
Incentive: PIP 10%
Work Location Category: Onsite
PSEG operates under a Flexible Work Model where flexible work is offered when job requirements allow. In support of this model, roles have been categorized into one of four work location categories: onsite roles, hybrid roles that are a blend of onsite and remote work, remote local roles that are primarily home-based but require some level of purpose-driven in-person interaction and living within a commutable distance, and remote non-local roles that can be effectively performed remotely with the ability to work in approved states.
PSEG offers a unique experience to our more than 12,000 employees – we provide the resources and opportunities for career development that come with being a Fortune 500 company, as well as the attention, camaraderie and care for one another you might typically associate with a small business. Our focus on combatting climate change through clean energy technology, our new net zero climate vision for 2030 and enhanced commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; and supporting the communities we serve make this a particularly exciting time to join PSEG.
This position reports to the Manager of Health and Safety Compliance and provides leadership, guidance, health and safety program administration and compliance oversight to ensure compliance with federal, state and local health and safety regulations.
The Health and Safety Coordinator will provide technical oversight and support to various departments throughout PSEG Long Island and will be responsible for implementing, delivering and managing health and safety programs and initiatives including facility and operations assessments, health, safety and regulatory training, safety support during storm events, incident investigation.
**This role is Remote to the Long Island New York area**
The Health and Safety Coordinator will work with and alongside a team of safety professionals to provide advice, guidance and council to employees and all levels of management in all areas of safety including; policies, procedures, standards, regulatory requirements, incident investigations, health and wellness, life safety, loss prevention, training and health and safety components.
The Health and Safety Coordinator will conduct research, develop programs and implement actions related to various health and safety initiatives in order to assist in managing employee safety, contractor safety, public safety, and facility loss control and incident prevention activities for improvement in year over year health and safety scorecard measures and progress toward top decile H&S performance. Overall, the position works to establish and promote maintenance of a safe, accident-free, and healthy work environment by performing the following duties.
• Implement and manage assigned health and safety programs
• Serve as a subject matter expert (SME) in support of departmental health and safety professionals and managers throughout PSEG Long Island’s operations
• Provide support and oversight in managing incident reporting conducting incident analysis and data entry into the PSEG Long Island Safety Information and Management System (SIMS) to ensure accurate reporting to executives and regulatory agencies including OSHA
• Develop, implement and communicate safety procedures and practices
• managing all health and safety related incidents in partnership with Company Medical Department
• Participate in the Safety Council Structure to ensure top-down/ bottom-up communication between all levels/lines of business
• Develop, implement and deliver health, safety and regulatory related communications and training programs that drive improved safety performance and meet regulatory and company requirements.
• Develop safety programs and initiatives that drive improved safety performance
• Support PSEG Long Island’s contractor safety program by monitoring contractor safety performance, Health and safety plan reviews and the implanting contractor safety initiatives.
• Facilitate and conduct safety meetings, facility and operations self-assessments and other safety related activities
• Support storm restoration and other emergencies as part of the Safety, Health and Environmental team providing for incident safety.
• Review and analyze health and safety data to identify related trends and develop recommended actions and programs to improve performance
• Identify best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to mitigate potential hazards, raise safety awareness, and improve safe work practices
• Facilitate a work environment that supports a strong, safe and healthy culture
Job Specific Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 6 years of work experience in a health and safety related field; in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 10 years of work experience in a health and safety related field
• Demonstrated managerial/leadership abilities with strong decision making, problem solving, adaptability, teamwork, and customer and safety focus and commitment to continuous improvement
• Experience in safety program and/or compliance management, safety consulting or safety regulatory agency experience
• Good networking skills with demonstrated ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels in the organization, ranging from field personnel to senior leadership
• Demonstrated ability to understand and disseminate technical subject matter to drive safety improvements
• Extensive knowledge of federal, state and local occupational health & safety regulations and related consensus standards.
• Ability to quickly learn and interpret line of business and corporate health and safety policies and procedures
• Excellent verbal and written communication and persuasive interpersonal skills and strong analytical and presentation skills
• Must have instructional skills and experience and the ability to deliver presentations, hands on and classroom training for both large and small groups.
• Completed coursework/education in electric technology field
• MS/MA in related area of specialty
• T&D utility industry experience or knowledge
• Professional certification in safety, health, loss prevention, environmental or other related discipline (CHMM, CSP, CUSP, CUSA, CIH, OSHT…) or must secure certification within 24 months from date of acceptance of position.
Minimum Years of Experience
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Candidates must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity. Successful candidates must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG LI, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to 10 CFR Part 810 controlled information. If the position does require access to this information, the Talent Acquisition representative will provide further details upon making an offer.
PSEG is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legally protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics include race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through emPower which can be accessed through [Register to View] by clicking on the emPower icon, then selecting careers.
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES:
PSEG is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance applying for a position, please call [Register to View] or email [Register to View] If you need to request a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job, email [Register to View]