Elec Sys Operator
PSEG Company: PSEG Long Island
Salary Range: $ 78,600 - $ 149,400
Incentive: PIP 10%
Work Location Category: Onsite
PSEG operates under a Flexible Work Model where flexible work is offered when job requirements allow. In support of this model, roles have been categorized into one of four work location categories: onsite roles, hybrid roles that are a blend of onsite and remote work, remote local roles that are primarily home-based but require some level of purpose-driven in-person interaction and living within a commutable distance, and remote non-local roles that can be effectively performed remotely with the ability to work in approved states.
PSEG offers a unique experience to our more than 12,000 employees – we provide the resources and opportunities for career development that come with being a Fortune 500 company, as well as the attention, camaraderie and care for one another you might typically associate with a small business. Our focus on combatting climate change through clean energy technology, our new net zero climate vision for 2030 and enhanced commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; and supporting the communities we serve make this a particularly exciting time to join PSEG.
- Continuously monitor all pertinent conditions on LIPA systems (transmission flows, system voltage, system load, frequency, etc.), identify actual or potential problems, and determine need for corrective action.
- Respond to actual and potential thermal rating violations on transmission lines and substation equipment (including SOL violations) in accordance with LIPA and NYISO operating procedures and current system conditions.
- Continuously monitor MW output of units to ensure that they are following dispatch instructions and responding to NYISO AGC signals. In consultation with the Principal System Operator, take or direct the District Operator to take corrective action as nee
- Continuously monitor on line power flow and contingency analysis results to determine system security under unexpected/emergent conditions, identify potential operating constraints (if any), and direct the District Operator to take appropriate mitigating actions.
- Continuously monitor and manage voltage levels, reactive flows and reactive sources on an actual and contingency basis and determine need for corrective action. This includes pro-actively deploying reactive devices to stay ahead of system voltage during l
- Following a severe system disturbance (e.g. loss of multiple generating units and/or interconnections), determine the cause and extent of the disturbance, develop and implement a plan to restore the system to a secure state and complete appropriate notifi
- Directly supervise the progress of transmission outages, clearance and control processes and switching procedure to ensure all work permits are ready for pick up at scheduled start time and that they are also returned by the scheduled return time. Provid
Job Specific Qualifications
- Applicant will be Required to take an approved work aptitude test by an outside consultant in order to accept this position.
- The successful candidate will be Required to prepare for and pass the NERC Transmission Operator Certification exam within one year
- Must be able to work a rotating 12-hour shift - as such OT will be paid where applicable
- The ability to interface with all levels of management is essential
- Verbal communication must be clear, concise and effective. Strong analytical reasoning and logical thinking ability is also essential.
- Knowledge of computer simulation tools such as load flow and unit commitment is desired.
- Tolerance of job stress and pressure is a major contributor to success in the position.
- High energy, drive and work motivation is a necessity.
- Candidates will be expected to gain a thorough understanding of the Rules for Safe Operation, the General Rules for Safe Operation of the Electric Transmission System (OI-20002) and the Collective Bargaining Agreement for Local Union 1049.
Minimum Years of Experience
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Candidates must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity. Successful candidates must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG LI, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to 10 CFR Part 810 controlled information. If the position does require access to this information, the Talent Acquisition representative will provide further details upon making an offer.
PSEG is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legally protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics include race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through emPower which can be accessed through [Register to View] by clicking on the emPower icon, then selecting careers.
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES:
PSEG is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance applying for a position, please call [Register to View] or email [Register to View] If you need to request a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job, email [Register to View]