Postdoctoral Appointee - High Performance Workflows
The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by designing and providing world-leading computing facilities in partnership with the computational science community. We help researchers solve some of the world’s largest and most complex problems with our unique combination of supercomputing resources and computational science expertise.
ALCF’s data science group seeks a post-doctoral appointee to perform research and development on computational workflows in the context of machine- and deep-learning, computational science simulation and analysis, and in coupling of learning and simulation.
In this role, you will:
- Work with a wide variety of science applications with the common theme of scaling on current ALCF systems and preparing for future exascale systems.
- Collaborate with diverse colleagues and researchers from the data science team and with computer scientists and domain scientists within and outside Argonne.
- Expected to present and publish their work at major conferences and journals.
- Leverage Python to facilitate workflows running on current and future supercomputers at ALCF. This will involve ensembles of large-scale parallel jobs and high-throughput computing to reach high efficiency, requiring an understanding of data transfer, I/O intensity, job schedulers, application performance, and novel computing hardware.
- Expect your work to span multiple dimensions, including a wide variety of science domains, a mix of simulation and analysis, applications written in multiple languages and exhibiting a range of execution profiles, significant data challenges, machine learning and deep learning, all running on multiple computing architectures.
- Ph.D. + 0-3 years of experience in computer science, computational science, or a related field
- Extensive experience with Python programming and key libraries (NumPy, SciPy, TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Extensive experience with computational workflows on large-scale systems
- Experience related to parallel algorithms, I/O architectures, and performance evaluation and tuning
- Experience with API development
- Ability to quickly assimilate new subject areas and effectively interact with experts in those areas
- Good written and communication skills
- Good experience and skills in interdisciplinary teams involving mathematicians, computer scientists, and discipline scientists
- Good publication record, preferably including first-author publication(s)
- Collaborative skills including the ability to work well with other laboratories and universities, supercomputer centers, and industry
- Cover letter (recommended); uploaded as a PDF document.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.