Process Engineering Specialist
We invite you to apply for a Process Engineering Specialist position in the Cell Analysis, Modeling, and Prototyping (CAMP) Facility within Argonne’s Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division (CSE).
Under the guidance of a supervisor, you will:
Support and advance battery technology research and development activities through production of prototype battery electrodes and pouch cells.
Adapt and employ processing equipment to fabricate electrode coatings and assemble high-quality cells (batteries) based on advanced lithium-ion chemistries.
Optimize, operate, and maintain semi-automated pilot plant equipment used to handle chemicals/materials.
Operate and maintain glove box equipment.
Troubleshoot various laboratory equipment/instrumentation problems.
Provide logistics support to the team (equipment, battery materials and components, shipping of prototype electrodes and cells to collaborators)
Interact with Argonne and external principal investigators to assist in timely completion of research projects.
We expect you to have:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices.
- Knowledge of safe handling of chemicals/materials.
- Knowledge of laboratory and pilot-scale safety practices.
- Skills in recognizing abnormal behavior of equipment and methods of troubleshooting and repair.
- The ability to work/hands-on skills in the operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment and quality control adherence.
- To notice and control details to ensure quality, repeatability, and standardization of pouch cell assembly and testing.
- Skills in optimizing, operating, and maintaining electrical and mechanical process equipment related to handling of chemicals/materials.
- Knowledge of battery electrode fabrication, battery assembly, and experimental procedures and techniques.
- Ability to problem-solve and provide pragmatic solutions.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team with fellow colleagues on a day-to-day basis.
This level of knowledge is typically achieved through a formal education in chemical/industrial/mechanical engineering at the B.S./M.S. degree level and 5 years of experience or equivalent in the scientific application of this knowledge and practical laboratory experience.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileChemical Engineering 1
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.