Research Assistant III – Infectious Diseases Directorate
Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Research Assistant III to support the Infectious Diseases Directorate (IDD) located at the Naval Medical Research Center in Silver Spring, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to IDD.
The incumbent will work with pre-clinical samples using humanized mouse models to assess potency and immunogenicity and support novel therapeutics and vaccine development.
- Performs laboratory research projects including collection and organization of data. Maintains compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures. Oversees and ensures the proper disposal of infectious and hazardous materials.
- Makes detailed observations about experiment. Provides quality control, trouble shooting, and the maintenance of specialized reagents and equipment.
- Conducts critical review of procedures, determining where issues occurred and formulating plans to correct problems as they arise.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, and protocols. Provides basic data analysis and interpretation. Assists in the preparation of manuscripts and data for presentations at scientific meetings and publication in journals.
- Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories, and logbooks. Performs data entry for research projects and may maintain data and database(s).
- Follows instructions and standard operating procedures to perform expected tasks. Trains and assists lower level laboratory staff.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience animal handling, surgical procedures, processing of animal samples and all data analysis.
- Comfortability working with mice is required.
- Technical knowledge of scientific disciplines.
- Knowledge in area of molecular biology or immunological assays are highly desired.
- Knowledge of laboratory techniques and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory equipment.
- Ability to follow basic instructions
- Good communication and analytical skills.
Job Specific Requirement:
- Minimum two-year experience working with laboratory mice including breeding, bio sampling and organ collection.
- Minimum two-year research experience in a research laboratory for performing PCRs, cell cultures, and/or immunological assays
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or molecular biology required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements:
- Level III: Minimum 6-8 years of experience required.
Work Environment: This job takes place in a laboratory environment.
Work Arrangement: 100% on-site.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.