Research Assistant I (Antibodies) - Microbiology and Immunology
Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Research Assistant I to support the Microbiology and Immunology Department located at the Uniformed Services University in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to the Microbiology and Immunology Department.
The Research Assistant I will support the development of antibodies, recombinant proteins and serological tools for application in research projects involving proteins derived from henipaviruses (e.g. Nipah virus), filoviruses (e.g. Ebola virus) and coronaviruses (e.g. SARS and MERS coronaviruses) in the laboratory of Dr. Christopher Broder in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. This individual will also be responsible for the maintenance of reagent inventories and logistical coordination of material shipment with multi collaborators.
Performs research and/or development in collaboration with others for projects. Provides laboratory and technical support to senior technical and professional staff. Solves less complex problems in carrying out research projects in a clinical or laboratory environment.
NOTE: All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
- Performs research projects, including the collection and organization of data. Follows instructions and standard operating procedures. (25%)
- Performs data entry in accurate, timely, and efficient manner. Maintains clear and accurate data collection records and inventories in accordance with Good Clinical and/or Good Laboratory practices. (20%)
- Maintains supplies in the laboratory and ensures proper cleanliness and sanitation in accordance with Good Clinical and/or Good Laboratory practices. (25%)
- Creates, collects, disseminates, and maintains appropriate study data. (15%)
- Assists in the preparation of technical reports, summaries, and protocols. Creates and communicates detailed observations on experiments. (15%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of standard laboratory techniques; ability to follow detailed instructions; good communication and analytical skills. Additional laboratory techniques such as sterile cell culture, DNA cloning, protein expression and purification, and western blotting. Strong molecular biology background strongly recommended.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: Minimum 0-2 years of experience required.
Work Environment: This job takes place in a laboratory setting.
Work Arrangement: 100% on-site.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.