Research Associate I - Microbiology and Immunology
Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Research Associate I to support the research in Dr. Christopher Broder’s laboratory in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to the Department of Microbiology.
The incumbent will exercise technical discretion in the design, execution, and interpretation of experiments that contribute to project strategies. Performs limited analysis and interpretation of results. The primary purpose for this job position is that the successful candidate will perform laboratory work that include design of the experiments, mainly supervised, executing of the experiments, generally unsupervised, recording the experimental procedures with the results, and discussing the obtained results with the supervisor.
NOTE: All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
- Plans, conducts, and completes investigations as stated in the primary job purpose
- Assists with the writing and editing of experimental results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journal.
- Performs results data analysis.
- Maintains records and documentation regarding assigned research.
- Documents current or new procedures or protocols for sample selection, data collection, data processing, and/or statistical estimation.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of complex laboratory procedures; ability to meet deadlines of projects; good communication and analytical skills. Experience should include but not limited to cell culture, cell transfection, recombinant virus handling, methods and general procedures in molecular biology as plasmid growth, PCR, cloning, gel chromatography, ELISA, etc. Handling of computer software – Word, Excel, Power Point, Endnote, and GraphPad (may be trained upon accepting the position) is required.
Minimum Education: Master's degree in bacteriology, microbiology, or biochemistry required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: Minimum 0-2 years of experience required.
Work Arrangement: 100% on-site
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.