Serology Medical Technologist I - Diagnostics and Countermeasures Branch
Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Serology Medical Technologist I to support the Diagnostics and Countermeasures Branch (DCB) located at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to DCB.
The incumbent will perform assays/procedures in strict accordance with the laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Policies, Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP), accrediting bodies, and U.S. regulatory agencies to include the CAP, DoD Clinical Laboratory Information Program (CLIP), and the U.S. FDA. The incumbent is responsible for preparing and analyzing samples, operation and maintenance of state-of-the-art instrumentation, and ensuring adherence to all quality control procedures in support of clinical diagnostic and clinical research initiatives.
NOTE: All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
- Performs assays in a high throughput laboratory, as well as performing specimen processing duties in accordance with laboratory.
- SOPs, manufacturer guidelines and CAP/ FDA regulations. Ensures proper handling of samples, data entry, aliquoting of samples for storage, retrieval of samples, and the monitoring of laboratory supplies and inventory.
- Reviews sample run data and quality control data and ensures all regulatory compliance standards are met. Ensures proper entry of sample data and testing results into databases or the laboratory information management system (LIMS).
- Ensures compliance with all Quality Assurance (QA) program requirements including but not limited to quality control, maintenance, troubleshooting activities and documentation in accordance with QA and departmental established SOPs.
- Performs and documents all weekly, monthly, semi-annual, and annual maintenance on equipment in accordance with SOPs.
- Responsible for performing tasks in accordance with the applicable safety regulations and instructions.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the Lead Technologist. This may include attendance of and participation in required trainings for current and new testing.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Excellent laboratory and technical skills. Ability to work independently once trained, excellent record keeping ability, excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to identify areas for process improvement for better efficiency.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: A minimum of 0-2 years of experience is required.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: ASCP certifications for cytology, histology, microbiology, serology-immunology, hematology, clinical chemistry, and/or immunohematology preferred.
Physical/Environmental Capabilities: Requires lifting materials up to 50lbs, includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, or exposure to chemicals. Conditions that pose risk of exposure to pathogens.
Work Environment: Lab Environment.
Work Arrangement: This position is 100% on site and has no teleworking capability. 10 hour shifts 8 - 630pm Monday – Saturday.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.