Home Therapy RN
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The registered professional nurse Home Therapies RN CAP 1 is an entry level designation into the Clinical Advancement Program (CAP). This position is accountable and responsible for the provision and coordination of clinically competent care including assessment planning intervention and evaluation for an assigned group of patients. Assesses and manages patients’ response to home dialysis training and treatment therapy by following prescribed predetermined protocols and communicates patient related issues to the physician as needed. As a member of the End Stage Kidney Disease (ESKD) health care team this position participates in decision-making teaching leadership functions and quality improvement activities that enhance patient care outcomes and facility operations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
All duties and responsibilities are expected to be performed in accordance with Fresenius Kidney Care policy procedures standards of nursing practice state and federal regulations.
- Performs all essential functions under the direction of the Supervisor with guidance from the Educator Preceptor or in collaboration with another Registered Nurse.
- Performs ongoing systematic collection and analysis of dialysis data for assigned patients and documents in the patient medical record makes adjustments or modifications to treatment plan as indicated and notifies Supervisor or physician as needed.
- Assesses collaborates and documents patient/family’s basic learning needs to provide initial and ongoing education to patients and family.
- Directs and provides in collaboration with the patient home care partner direct and ancillary patient care staff all aspects of the provision of safe and effective delivery of dialysis therapy to assigned patients.
- Administers medications as prescribed or in accordance with approved algorithm(s) and documents appropriate medical justification and effectiveness.
- Initiates or assists with emergency response measures.
- Serves as a resource for health care team participates in staff training and orientation of new staff as assigned.
- Ensures correct laboratory collection processing and shipping procedures are performed and reschedules missed or insufficient laboratory collections.
- Identifies expected outcomes documents and updates the nursing assessment and plan of care for assigned patients through collaboration with the Interdisciplinary Team.
- Ensures patient awareness related to transplant and treatment modality options.
- Assists in the identification evaluation selection and education of Home Dialysis candidates and Home Partners.
- Performs assessment and identifies barriers of the Home Dialysis candidate’s home environment and partner / family readiness and ability to perform dialysis treatments in the home.
- Trains Home Dialysis patients and / or Home Partners on the safe effective operation and maintenance of all Home Dialysis equipment and treatment supplies through an organized and formal Home Dialysis Training Program.
- Required to complete CAP requirements to advance.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves heavy lifting moving of equipment patients and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance.
- This position requires frequent prolonged periods of standing and the employee must be able to bend over.
- The employee may occasionally be required to move with assistance machines and equipment of up to 200 lbs. and may lift chemical and water solutions of up to 30 lbs. as high as 5 feet.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
- May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
- Rotates coverage with other licensed home therapies staff as assigned to ensure reliable and adequate coverage.
- Position requires participation in on-call rotation night weekend holiday or as defined by individual program needs.
- The position may require travel to training sites other facilities or patient homes.
- May be asked to provide essential functions of this position in other locations including patient’s home with the same physical demands and working conditions as described above.
- Day to day work includes desk work computer work interaction with patients facility/hospital staff and physicians.
Assigned oversight of LPNs/LVNs RNs Patient Care Technicians and Home Therapy Care Team Assistants as a Team Leader or designated Nurse in charge after meeting all the following:
- Successful completion of all FKC education and training requirements for new employees.
- Must have a minimum of 12 months experience as a RN.
- Successful completion of 3 months experience as a RN in home peritoneal dialysis and / or hemodialysis.
EDUCATION and LICENSURE:
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
- Current appropriate state licensure.
- Current or successful completion of CPR BLS Certification
- Must meet the practice requirements in the state in which he or she is employed.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Entry level for RNs with less than 1 year of Nephrology Nursing experience in the last two years as a RN.
- Minimum of 1-year experience as a Registered Nurse (preferred)
- Home dialysis therapy experience (preferred).
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.