Optum Advisory Actuarial Analyst
Begin your career at UnitedHealth Group and you’ll get an opportunity to do something extraordinary with your first job out of school: make a real difference. We have modest goals: Help 149 million people live healthier lives. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Brilliant. Compassionate. Driven. You’ll find these people everywhere you turn here. You’ll also find a world of career options fueled by your performance and limited only by imagination. Start here. And start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
What makes your Actuarial career greater with UnitedHealth Group? Actuaries are the decision-making engine for our business, that is why we support you from day one. We offer a competitive study program with paid time off to study, expense reimbursement for study materials and pay raises for passing exams. Advancement, access to data, variety of product lines, and rewards for delivering on our mission ensures you will always be challenged to do your best. Our businesses serve the entire spectrum of health care participants: individual consumers and employers, commercial payers and intermediaries, physicians, hospitals, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, and more, providing you with a career that is challenging, exciting, and integral in helping to write the history of our organization.
In joining the Optum Advisory Services Consulting team, you’ll be a part of a high-performing team, you'll help support Optum's growth and financial goals while you help shape our future. As an Actuarial Consultant, you will be empowered, supported, and encouraged to use your actuarial expertise as you perform financial analysis and build models that improve health plan competitiveness. You'll find an accelerated actuarial development path to support you in your continuing post-graduate education and certification.
**This full-time position will be available starting in January 2023**
**UnitedHealth Group is not able to offer relocation assisting for this position**
**UnitedHealth Group is not able to offer visa sponsorship now or in the future for this position**
- Assisting in developing innovative strategies, policies, and procedures
- Conducting and documenting moderately complex analysis and research
- Preparing, forecasting, and analyzing trends
- Initiating, compiling, and preparing analytical models, tools, and databases
- Providing detailed summaries, reports, and recommendations to assist in managerial decision making
- Other responsibilities may include expense cost projections, unpaid claim reserve cost estimates and compiling various financial reports
- Potential areas of focus may include but are not limited to:
- Healthcare Economics
- Data Analytics
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles of interest.
- Currently in final year of obtaining a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college / university or obtained degree within the last 24 months; degree must be obtained prior to start of employment
- Completion of 1 or more actuarial exams
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Education in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, Finance, Economics, or another related technical field from an accredited college / university
- Minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA
- Intermediate level of proficiency working with Microsoft Excel, including formulas, calculations, pivot tables, charts, graphs, etc.
- Basic level of proficiency with MS Word and MS Access
- Basic level of proficiency with SAS or SQL programming languages and/or Tableau
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $54,400 to $97,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.