Medical Technologist II
Medical Technologist II - Rockville, MD - Variable
*Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required – exemptions from vaccination requirement for medical and religious reasons will be considered if a conditional offer of employment is extended.
Perform test procedures of moderate/high complexity requiring the exercise of independent judgement and responsibility in those specialties in which they are qualified by education, training and experience.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in all areas of testing and be proficient troubleshooting all applicable instruments/procedures in the department.
- Provides support to the department in the areas of quality control, troubleshooting complex problems, customer support, instrument and equipment maintenance, staff training, process improvement and the completion of special projects as assigned.
- Perform and report on assigned analytical tests in accordance with applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) ensuring that applicable quality control requirements are met.
- Actively support and comply with laboratory policies and procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Adhere to analytical schedules to maintain turnaround time of results including STATS or critical results to clients.
- Ensure reagents/test kits have received dates, expiration dates and if applicable opened dates.
- Perform and document QC analysis to ensure accuracy of clinical data and proper instrument function. Make quality control decisions regarding the disposition of an assay or test.
- Responsible for informing supervisory personnel of all problems associated with the proper performance of test procedures.
- Report any actual or potential deviation from standard or accepted testing procedures and cooperate fully with any investigation of same.
- Enter test results into the Laboratory Information System for standardized report to be generated for physician review and interpretation.
- Maintain laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional and sanitary condition.
- Complete training and competency checklists as appropriate.
- May assist supervisor with training of other laboratory personnel.
- Adheres to all established CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA and laboratory safety requirements.
- Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
- Answer questions from clients or other lab personnel, if applicable.
- Participate in government or regulatory agency inspections, if needed.
- May be required, in the absence of a Supervisor, to assume lead responsibilities if qualified and delegated.
- Other duties as assigned. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of work performed by the position.
Required Work Experience:
One (1) year full-time experience or training (high complexity testing) in a clinical laboratory setting.
Preferred Work Experience:
Minimum of 3 years clinical experience with most current year in present department.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual and automated pipettes and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of which demand significant manual dexterity.
- Comprehensive theoretical and operational job knowledge in designated specialty required.
- Knowledge of organizational/departmental policies and procedures.
- BS/BA in Medical Technology, Chemistry or Biology, or Associates degree in a Laboratory Science or Medical Technology, or Previously qualified as a Technologist under 42 CFR 493. 1433 published in March 14, 1990.
- Foreign educated candidates must provide a detailed credential evaluation from IERF (International Education Research Foundation). United States-educated candidates must provide a detailed original transcript.
- Other state specific requirements may apply depending on BU’s state testing certifications. Check with local HR or QA departments.
- Proven leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, have the ability to work independently, establish work priorities and to handle several tasks simultaneously for maximum department efficiency.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
- Communication skills necessary to handle telephone inquiries from clients.
- Ability to deal with client information in a confidential manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) and Laboratory Information Systems.